• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New 40-gallon breeder tomorrow...what do I need?

cburns32

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm getting a 40-gallon breeder tomorrow for my lil guy (Vegeta)...what exactly will I need for lights, basking and UVB? Wattages and sizes??

cburns32

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This is exactly what I am going with...

150W Tight Beam Sun Glo on 12 hours in winter, 14 hours in summer....coupled with a 100W Infrared Heat Glo on 24 hours a day. Both these lights will be in 8.5" Reflector Domes with Ceramic Socket. They will be placed on the right side of the tank for basking. (My friend has this setup and it's about 118*F - 123*F during the day and drops to about 80*F at night).

1 Repti Glo 10.0 UVB Desert Terrarium Lamp 30W 36" (stretching across entire cage, directly under basking area)
1 Repti Glo 10.0 UVB Desert Terrarium Lamp 20W 24" (this will placed at the opposite end of the basking area starting from the left of the cage and stretching 2 feet to the right, day temperatures 77*F-84*F, night temperatures 72*F-75*F)

As I said my friend has this exact setup and his beardie is flourishing tremendously. What do you think??

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No need for the red. For night time temps, that fall below 65*F use a Heat Emitter. If you need more day time warmth, try using a house hold flood light.

Now for the UVBs. You only need the one, stretching the length of the enclosure, and the dragon would need to be within 6-8" of the tube for the best effect.

Hope this helps.

cburns32

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
150W Sun-Glo Tight Beam or 100W Sun-Glo Tight Beam OR 150W Sun-Glo Basking Bulb or 100W Sun-Glo Basking Bulb....which do you suggest??

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you are using those to acheive heat...none. Use a regular household bulb. More effective and much cheaper.

cburns32

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yes but what wattage will get a 40 gallon breeder basking area to 110-115*F?

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Depends on your household temps. My house is kept at about 75*f, I use a 90 watt bulb to achieve 105* at my basking spot. Just get a few different wattages and play around with it.. You can use regular light bulbs for heat, no need for expensive ones. As for the UVB the ReptiSun 10.0 is the most highly recommended and it's what I use.

Latest posts