• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nesting Site

Dale Sanders

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi All
my female dragon is due to start scratching and i need to provide a ideal nesting area for her,
what do i need to provide?
cheers

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
mix the soil and sand about half and half with warm water. it should hold together when squeezed but not hard pack if dried. pile it up on one side of the tub while leaving a little to cover the entire bottom, lightly pack it then start a tunnel in the front.(some will use it and some will dig their own). put a screen top over the tub and place a baskin bulb on screen. usually a 60 watt household will do since you are piling the soil up and will have limited space between the bulb and the dirt. anyway, it keeps the dirt mound warm and give your girl a place to bask. then let them have at it!

Reactions: Jp

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I had no problems getting my female to lay in damp potting soil or damp perilite. Let them dig around in it for a few days when they start clawing up their tank until they get bored. They'll lay when they find their perfect spot. I just put it in a small rubber tote in the tank if I wasn't going to be sitting by them the entire time making sure they wouldn't jump out.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I had no problems getting my female to lay in damp potting soil or damp perilite. Let them dig around in it for a few days when they start clawing up their tank until they get bored. They'll lay when they find their perfect spot. I just put it in a small rubber tote in the tank if I wasn't going to be sitting by them the entire time making sure they wouldn't jump out.
Apparently Cleo doesn't want to lay in the perilite... off to find some organic potting soil to mix in. Hopefully that will do the trick. So, apparently I have had a problem now!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I just put regular playground sand in a 35 gallon tank and dampen it a lil
They didn't have what I wanted at home depot so I just grabbed some washed playground sand to mix in with the perilite. The mixture holds form really well. And while I worry about how heavy the sand is damp, the perilite will lighten it up a bit.

Latest posts