• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

honksbonk

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I bought the Reptisun 10.0 T8 UVB 24”tube, I’m just now wondering how to get it set up. All of the terrarium hood fixtures are $50+ on pet websites, is there anything cheaper that I could use to get the bulb working so that Honk can get some more UVB asap ?? I can’t really afford expensive light fixtures right now :(

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
So I bought the Reptisun 10.0 T8 UVB 24”tube, I’m just now wondering how to get it set up. All of the terrarium hood fixtures are $50+ on pet websites, is there anything cheaper that I could use to get the bulb working so that Honk can get some more UVB asap ?? I can’t really afford expensive light fixtures right now :(
Unfortunately 39$ is the cheapest one ive seen, and it didn’t have a reflector :( , you can get one at lowes for 19$ but again it doesn’t have a reflector and its not ment to house uvb bulbs... 50$ is the entry fee for fixtures , sorry

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You need a fixture w/ a reflector DO NOT BUY ONE w/ out!!!! You can take your dragon outside if the temp is above 65 -- let him sit on you for 15 minutes or longer in direct sunlight --- do this every day till you get a UVB -- your dragon will not live w/ out it -- they haft to have the rays to help absorb / synthesize the calcium he ingests -- it prevents MBD and other health issues --- can you afford this? this is a good set up and it you would need to get the 24" fixture /w the 12% Desert bulb -- Arcadias are one of the best on the market besides the Zoo Med Reptisuns / bulbs
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html
or heres the hood these people are cheap on shipping and they ship Fed EX
please get one ASAP --- I went shopping and I couldnt find one either that was reasonable -- your better off taking the bulb back and get the Pro T 5 and put the money you spent on the bulb towards the fixture --- the Pro T 5 comes w/ the bulb and I specified what you need --- please let me know what you decide

honksbonk

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need a fixture w/ a reflector DO NOT BUY ONE w/ out!!!! You can take your dragon outside if the temp is above 65 -- let him sit on you for 15 minutes or longer in direct sunlight --- do this every day till you get a UVB -- your dragon will not live w/ out it -- they haft to have the rays to help absorb / synthesize the calcium he ingests -- it prevents MBD and other health issues --- can you afford this? this is a good set up and it you would need to get the 24" fixture /w the 12% Desert bulb -- Arcadias are one of the best on the market besides the Zoo Med Reptisuns / bulbs
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html
or heres the hood these people are cheap on shipping and they ship Fed EX
please get one ASAP --- I went shopping and I couldnt find one either that was reasonable -- your better off taking the bulb back and get the Pro T 5 and put the money you spent on the bulb towards the fixture --- the Pro T 5 comes w/ the bulb and I specified what you need --- please let me know what you decide
thank you so much, i’ll have to think about which one to get! right now i have a compact uvb bulb, will that be okay up until i can get the fixture? i would try to take him outside but i’ve only had him for a week, so he’s still avoiding me as much as he possibly can.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thank you so much, i’ll have to think about which one to get! right now i have a compact uvb bulb, will that be okay up until i can get the fixture? i would try to take him outside but i’ve only had him for a week, so he’s still avoiding me as much as he possibly can.
Get rid of that compact coil --- get a plastic tote NO GLASS -- place him in it - direct/ shade sunlight 15 minutes in the tote if its real hot no longer than 15 minutes but you must watch him -- do not leave him alone I dont know what the weather is like where you are but you do not want to get him too hot --- is he a baby? you want that UVB as soon as you can get it --- coils are terrible and cause all kinds of health issues and if hes young you want him started off on the right foot as hes developing and growing --- too much risk for MBD -- are you dusting his insects / calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding ?

honksbonk

Bearded Dragon Egg
Get rid of that compact coil --- get a plastic tote NO GLASS -- place him in it - direct/ shade sunlight 15 minutes in the tote if its real hot no longer than 15 minutes but you must watch him -- do not leave him alone I dont know what the weather is like where you are but you do not want to get him too hot --- is he a baby? you want that UVB as soon as you can get it --- coils are terrible and cause all kinds of health issues and if hes young you want him started off on the right foot as hes developing and growing --- too much risk for MBD -- are you dusting his insects / calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding ?
he is a baby! i have been dusting his insects with calcium d3, as for the vitamins I have them but I haven’t done it yet, I will today since I didn’t do any calcium on his breakfast. I am also getting BSFL coming in the mail so he’ll have sufficient calcium from those. i’m not sure how old he actually is as i wasn’t told when i bought him and he won’t stay still long enough for me to measure him or anything, but i’ll get that tube UVB as soon as I possibly can! it’s supposed to be around 75° today so I’ll try to get him outside too if I can manage to.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he is a baby! i have been dusting his insects with calcium d3, as for the vitamins I have them but I haven’t done it yet, I will today since I didn’t do any calcium on his breakfast. I am also getting BSFL coming in the mail so he’ll have sufficient calcium from those. i’m not sure how old he actually is as i wasn’t told when i bought him and he won’t stay still long enough for me to measure him or anything, but i’ll get that tube UVB as soon as I possibly can! it’s supposed to be around 75° today so I’ll try to get him outside too if I can manage to.
Make a point he needs this to keep eating along w/ proper basking temps- he will stop if the temps and proper uvb are not being provided

Latest posts