• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need to find a home for a bearded dragon.

dgriswold93

Bearded Dragon Egg
My friend left me with a bearded dragon, long story short, I'm stuck with it. I don't know how to take care of it very well and it has been skinny and sick looking since I've had it. I just want it to go to a good home where somebody will take good care of it. I will send it free of charge, just pay for shipping. I am located just outside Boston, MA.

Thanks,
Drew

bee vue

Hatchling Dragon
I wouldn't mind taking it I have alot room for it and have you check all the lights and temps for it maybe it is because of the temp or a old uvb bulb. Would you be able to post up a few pictures of the dragon.?

dgriswold93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah I'll link a few photos, shes seems pretty sweet, not too skiddish. I think shes at least a few years old.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 107

bee vue

Hatchling Dragon
She looks like almost 12 months. It's really easy to take care of but if your really wanna rehome it I wouldn't mind taking it. But if it's true on what you say that the dragon is skinny and looking kinda sick I wouldn't want you to send her if that condition. I would be able to give you a few advice too make sure she is okay before sending her to me. Nature zone makes some food for dragons it's red wine color try to go grab a can it's about $17 at petsmart or try find it at Your Local pet store and feed the dragon some of those for a few days see if she will eat it. Because shipping a skinny or unhealthy dragon could end up bad they could get worse. With you being from MA and me in MICHIGAN even With a over night shipping would stress her out more. Just think about it if your sick and some one move you like that. So if you didn't mind trying to feed her for a few days to see how she is doing then we can get a shipping date ready.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'd take her in if I was closer to you :(
Have you been able to find any potential homes for her?

dgriswold93

Bearded Dragon Egg
The only potential home so far would be bee vue. I've been asking around locally, but I really want someone who knows what they are doing, not just a random friend.

bee vue

Hatchling Dragon
The only potential home so far would be bee vue. I've been asking around locally, but I really want someone who knows what they are doing, not just a random friend.
Thanks so much. So mind me asking how's the dragon now if it's been eating fine then you could get a shipping quote for over from were your at to lansing michigan 48906 and let me know asap

dgriswold93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, I didn't get the food you had suggested yet but she has been eating plenty of kale, meal worms, and crickets. She eats just fine, she is just very skinny. How do I go about shipping her? What size box? Should I wrap her in anything?

bee vue

Hatchling Dragon
You know how long she is from head to tail? Then that's how you find out how mig of a box, for shipping go to Walmart or any store and find a cheese cloth bag that's will be what you would put her in. And then put in some crunch newspaper so she don't move around so much. Before shipping just give her a warm bath and dry her off before bagging and shipping. Oh stay away from meal worms too many can hurt the dragon. Give her some wax worm because wax worm are fattening and will help her get her weight back. Here's another question does the dragon lay down all day or do she move around also? Can the dragon keep her head up above 2 inch from the ground? If the dragon don't do those 2 things then she is in very bad health. I'm hoping she don't have bone disease. Make sure she getting her vitamins and calcium 3d and UVB LIGHT.

dgriswold93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay, thanks for the tips regarding the shipping info. I don't give her too many meal worms, mostly crickets and kale, but like I said I don't know too much about taking care of her. She can definitely lift her head up, in fact she is right now. But she doesn't move around too too much, she mostly just sits under her heat lamp.

bee vue

Hatchling Dragon
That's got good for the beardie it sound like she might have
  1. Metabolic bone disease and that's not good but I'll post up a few video links after I get out of work and you can check see if she have any of the same symptoms. She's not ready for shipping if she don't move from the basking spot.

dgriswold93

Bearded Dragon Egg
I really don't know how she should be acting to even make a judgement on whether she may have MBD. She doesn't move around too much but when she does she seems to do so okay. She eats right away when I give her some food, though I don't know for sure if I'm over or under feeding her. She seems totally fine other than the fact that she is skinny. I saw some pictures of reptiles that have MBD and she definitely does not have any bone deformities that I can see.

dgriswold93

Bearded Dragon Egg
For example, she looks considerably healthier than the bearded dragon in this video.

She is not that skinny, just skinnier than other adults I've seen pictures of. She is pretty responsive too.

bee vue

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah make sure your giving her the calcium d3 supplements and have a uvb light and I know it might a little too much but would you mind making a little video of her and feeding? And post it up that would make it much easier to see how she is doing and look.

dgriswold93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Unfortunately I don't have any way of filming her :/. My phone is so old that it doesn't even take video. Ill take a few pictures while she eats though.

dgriswold93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here are some pictures of her eating a small bit of kale. I know its not as good as a video, but it may give you an idea of what we may be dealing with here. AAAAnd it wont let me upload the pictures on here for some reason. Ill post some links to photobucket. http://s96.photobucket.com/user/dgriswold93d93/media/2_zps5764b812.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2
http://s96.photobucket.com/user/dgriswold93d93/media/2_zps5764b812.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s96.photobucket.com/user/dgriswold93d93/media/23_zpsdac260d9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s96.photobucket.com/user/dgriswold93d93/media/33_zps36a619dc.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

dgriswold93

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would also like to add that though you obviously cant tell from the photos. She is not sluggish like I've seen some bearded dragons act in videos when they are really sick. She jumps right back under her lamp after eating to begin digesting.