• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need recommendations for the perfect starter setup

becca

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi everyone! My 8-year-old son wants a juvenile bearded dragon in the worst way. He has been saving his money for months now and is asking for a vivarium/supplies for Christmas. I am taking my time doing research, reading lots, and am now at the point where I'm close to buying supplies. I really want to do this the right way and I haven't bought a single thing yet, SO . . . I'd love to hear what your ideal starter setup would be (I don't want to have to upgrade the habitat later). I was looking at the Exo-Terra habitats (the large size is 36x18x18); they are expensive but I was thinking the front-opening doors would be easier for him to access his dragon. Thoughts on this? Not sure if they're worth the money or not.

Please help a newbie to start out right! Thank you!!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the size 36 x 18 x 18 is adequate for an adult or baby dragon. you won't need an upgrade.
front opening doors are very nice.....but not necessary.
Can you post a link to the Exo Terra caging you're looking at?

You'll want to use lighting for heat. That can either be a regular household light or a flood light.
You'll want to choose your UVB...........either a florescent bulb or a Mercury Vapor

You'll want to choose substrate. We recommend non particle for beginners.

You'll want a way to measure temperatures. A temp gun, www.tempgun.com . The P-1 or higher will work excellent for you.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is great that the two of you are doing your research before bringing a beardie into your home for care.

Buying a viv is expensive. We had a 74 gallon reptile viv with a top opening and hood. The hood allowed for the UV tube light, basking light, and heat emitter, used in the winter months.

I'm partial to the reptisun 10.0 tube. Tile is a great flooring. You'll want ramps and such for your beardie to reach the basking spot. Also, consider a probe thermometer to monitor your temps.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Both Ladyknite and Renee make great recommendations... let us know which way you want to go... and we can help you find the correct heat/lighting links..
Location is important too... also, have you choosen where you will be getting your new baby from ?
Janie

becca

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks so much for the quick replies!

Here's the link for the Exo Terra tank . . . it's nice, but expensive ($250):
www.exo-terra.com/en/products/glass_terrarium.php

I guess I was thinking that it would be easier for my son to access his dragon from the front, as opposed to a traditional tank where he'd have to move the lights off the top of a cage and reach down from the top to get the dragon. Is that not as big of a pain as it sounds? (I'm thinking hot lights with potential to break when moved). It certainly would help my pocketbook to get something less fancy, though. I would welcome honest advice on this!

Haven't yet determined where we'll get the dragon. Pet Smart, Local Reptile store in town (the staff wasn't that knowlegable so I don't know how great a source they are), local breeder?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ahhhh ok. those tanks aren't the best for dragons. usually they're tall, not long.
Check Craigslist in your area, or a local mom and pop store that sells aquarium type tanks. Tell them you want a 40 gallon BREEDER tank. Those dimensions are 36 x 18 x 18 and suitable for life.

the exo terra is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money.

if you'll tell us where you're located, we can probably hook you up with a breeder close by. Petsmart and places like that...........just want your money.

Most of us here can show you how to permanantly mount lights inside the enclosure, so unless you have a cat.....it should be good. wiring is simple, you'll just need to pick up the parts. But it would keep your son from having to open and close the enclosure and move the lights.
I don't have them with me, but i can post pictures later if you can't understand what i refer to.

becca

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The new extra-large exo-terra is long with more floor space than height. (36x18x18). But, I agree, it is a lot of money. If you have pics or a link that shows how to mount lights inside a breeder tank, that would be very helpful.

We live in the Austin, TX area if anyone wants to recommend a good breeder.

becca

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So let's say I wanted to save money and buy a 40 gal breeder glass tank. Is there any way to avoid moving all the light fixtures off the top of the screen to access the beardie? Would you buy a hinged screen where just part of it opens?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm not familiar with the breeder tanks. The one we have has a hood that holds the lights and a screen that comes off to access your beardie.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, becca, there is a way to make the screen top into a hinged.
I did this with a 55 gallon for my geckos.

First you drill holes every inch or so into the leader ( the plastic thing that goes around the glass on the top). Then bending the screen lid on one length side, until it is level with the screen... drill holes into that, same distances ( I laid the lid on the leader and matched up where the holes would go on the screen with the ones in the leader.) After that, you get a hinge that will run the length of the tank and drill holes in that to match the top (screen) and bottom (leader). Now you can either use screws or small bolts with wing nuts to secure... wallah.. instant hinged lid that is secure...
Janie

becca

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I appreciate all the advice! If I can't find a hinged screen for sale (I think I saw some at the pet store) I'll think about making one.

What length of light fixture would you all recommend for a 40 gal tank? 30 or 36? I've already got the ReptiSun bulb on my list to buy. Also Tiles for substrate. Learning lots on this forum!! :)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Becca... as long as it covers at least 1/2 the length and the dragon can access 6-8" of the bulb, you are fine..
Janie..

Say... I know Tom has some babies... TND Dragons.com. Jeff has some lovelies too...californiacitrusdragons.com.

They are not bad to ship, and both these guys are awesome breeders.

Janie

becca

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have the opportunity to purchase this cage with sliding front doors for $150. The size is 36Lx20Wx17H. It has a built in 18" fluourescent inside, and also an incandescent for heat. It's made of ABS plastic. I hope the link below works for you to view a picture . . . if you don't mind, let me know what you think of it!

http://www.dragons4you.net/slider34.JPG

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thats a fine tank. I cant tell from the pic, does it have any vents? If not you will have to do some modifications to it to allow for appropriate air flow.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
nice enclosure. You'll most likely only need a low wattage incandescent bulb too! Helps with the city's shortage of power..............lol *joke*

ilovecacti

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
thats a fine tank. I cant tell from the pic, does it have any vents? If not you will have to do some modifications to it to allow for appropriate air flow.

it looks like it has some holes in the back on each side of the back of the tank

becca

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks everyone, I'm going to get it! Yea! It does have vent holes in the back that I could widen with a drill if necessary.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you'll need a good therm for that enclosure. You may need to widen the vent holes. If you do, Lowes sells a small screen vent that will cover nicely, and keep the bugs inside.

Latest posts