• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need plexi/acrylic advice

Mandg

Bearded Dragon Egg
We are building a custom lizard enclosure into our house. The custom created ledge is 90 inches by 17 inches. The plan is to build it post to post, so the base will be built of wood and tiled, the two short ends will be painted wood, one long side will be solid see through and the other long side will have doors. The top will be screened. The entire thing will be split in half with an acrylic/plexi sheet to turn it into 2 tanks. Height of 2 feet. So each long side will be 90"x24".
First, what thickness do I need at minimum so the plexi/acrylic is self supporting and does not bow? I was thinking 1/4 minimum?
Second, it the aquarium adhesive I see around safe enough for sealing the joins? I know it's what's in the glass tanks the lizards are in now, but that doesn't mean it's the best product to use.
Third, I was planning swing open doors because slide doors sound hard to create, is there a trick through to them? I worry the beardie will pop a door open and fall out.
Any other good resources or advice on building a custom enclosure?

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes I would go with at least one quarter of an inch Plexi maybe more. For sealing different things I would suggest using silicone just make sure that it is outdoor proof. It actually isn't that difficult to make sliding doors, here's a video that explains on how to do it.