• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need new Lighting for our Beardie

Lmolinar

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Our four year old Beardie is not eating and is looking darker than normal. The vet took blood and said she looks anemic. We anre waiting for results. In the interim, she suggested we change the bulb. However, it seems the Reptisun t5 10.0 is no longer available in the 22” that fits our hood. Can you recommend a new lighting system since there are several to choose from? Thanks.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Our four year old Beardie is not eating and is looking darker than normal. The vet took blood and said she looks anemic. We anre waiting for results. In the interim, she suggested we change the bulb. However, it seems the Reptisun t5 10.0 is no longer available in the 22” that fits our hood. Can you recommend a new lighting system since there are several to choose from? Thanks.
Are you in the states? If so I will post websites for the Reptisun bulbs or you can use the Arcadia Pro T 5 bulb 12% 24 watt -- they are interchangeable -- let me know -- the UVB bulb should not be over 10-11 months old --- it should be placed in the tank if its a fine screen mesh directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches --- for a wide hole screen 8-10 inches -- when you get the test results for the blood please post we can have Tracie the vet tech on the board look at them ---

Lmolinar

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Are you in the states? If so I will post websites for the Reptisun bulbs or you can use the Arcadia Pro T 5 bulb 12% 24 watt -- they are interchangeable -- let me know -- the UVB bulb should not be over 10-11 months old --- it should be placed in the tank if its a fine screen mesh directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches --- for a wide hole screen 8-10 inches -- when you get the test results for the blood please post we can have Tracie the vet tech on the board look at them ---
Yes. I’m in Texas. I did see the Arcadia bulb at petsmart but the guy told me it wouldn’t be compatible. I’d appreciate any resources you may have.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes. I’m in Texas. I did see the Arcadia bulb at petsmart but the guy told me it wouldn’t be compatible. I’d appreciate any resources you may have.
What is the brand of the fixture-- Zoo Med fixtures will hold a 24 watt pro t5 12% bulb -- I interchange mine all the time --
https://joshsfrogs.com/sp/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-fluorescent-t5-ho-bulb-22-24-watt-zmos524

Lmolinar

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
The Arcadia bulb works. I have a second hood and was thinking of installing it in her cage now that I can find the bulb. It’s a pretty large cage. Would you recommend installing both lights across the length of the cage or would you recommend I put both lights across from each other on the side she spends the most time on? Vet did prescribed an antibiotic that we will start today because she has a high hetrofil count. Not exactly sure what’s wrong with her. She said it could also be lympasitis or Atadenovirus. We will monitor her weight and complete additional testing if the antibiotic doesn’t help restore her appetite. Would love your thoughts on the cage. Dimensions are 48x18x20
image.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The Arcadia bulb works. I have a second hood and was thinking of installing it in her cage now that I can find the bulb. It’s a pretty large cage. Would you recommend installing both lights across the length of the cage or would you recommend I put both lights across from each other on the side she spends the most time on? Vet did prescribed an antibiotic that we will start today because she has a high hetrofil count. Not exactly sure what’s wrong with her. She said it could also be lympasitis or Atadenovirus. We will monitor her weight and complete additional testing if the antibiotic doesn’t help restore her appetite. Would love your thoughts on the cage. Dimensions are 48x18x20View attachment 35263
Your UVB needs to be in the tank for a fine screen mesh and the distance should be 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor-from where it is placed in the pic she is not getting enough UVB if any at all you dont need 2 UVB's one good one is sufficient - where are the temp gauges? I dont see any at all-you need two digital probe thermometers in the tank one for the cool side and one for the basking side - the probe needs to go on the spot where she sits for basking -- IR guns are good but not always accurate- the fixture hanging that is the lowest what is in that? UVB and surface basking temps are critical for the dragons survival - surface basking temps directly under the basking light should be 95-100---

Lmolinar

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Your UVB needs to be in the tank for a fine screen mesh and the distance should be 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor-from where it is placed in the pic she is not getting enough UVB if any at all you dont need 2 UVB's one good one is sufficient - where are the temp gauges? I dont see any at all-you need two digital probe thermometers in the tank one for the cool side and one for the basking side - the probe needs to go on the spot where she sits for basking -- IR guns are good but not always accurate- the fixture hanging that is the lowest what is in that? UVB and surface basking temps are critical for the dragons survival - surface basking temps directly under the basking light should be 95-100---
Thank you for your quick reply. There is no mesh screen between the uvb hood and the interior tank. We removed them long ago. The hood is Velcro to the top of the cage so it doesn’t fall on her. I believe the distance is accurate from the light to the basking decor. There are three probes in the tank. One on the cool side and two on the hot side. We’re struggling a bit with keeping the tank warm at the moment as we are experiencing a hard freeze but temp were 101 basking, 91.4 floor on hot side and 74.3 on the cool side when I last checked. When you refer to placement of the uvb, do you suggest I move the hood from its current location?she lends most of her time in this corner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9

Lmolinar

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you for your quick reply. There is no mesh screen between the uvb hood and the interior tank. We removed them long ago. The hood is Velcro to the top of the cage so it doesn’t fall on her. I believe the distance is accurate from the light to the basking decor. There are three probes in the tank. One on the cool side and two on the hot side. We’re struggling a bit with keeping the tank warm at the moment as we are experiencing a hard freeze but temp were 101 basking, 91.4 floor on hot side and 74.3 on the cool side when I last checked. When you refer to placement of the uvb, do you suggest I move the hood from its current location?she lends most of her time in this corner.
Forgot to mention, the fixture hanging the lowest is just a heat emitter, the second lowest is the basking and the 3 rd is just a regular light bulb to create a little extra heat in this large tank. The hook emits the uvb.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Forgot to mention, the fixture hanging the lowest is just a heat emitter, the second lowest is the basking and the 3 rd is just a regular light bulb to create a little extra heat in this large tank. The hook emits the uvb.
The hook emits the UVB????????????? Is your UVB unobstructed? I pulled another picture and it looks like there is no screen where its sitting-- distance is crucial for strength of UVB --

Latest posts