• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need Help!

devdomski

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello, my name is Devin and I'm new here at MyBeardie.com. I need some help here. I recently took one of my bearded dragons to the vet for a facial injury and while i was there the vet said he felt eggs inside of her belly. Well i had thought that all of my dragons were male. Anyway the vet said he wanted to take x-rays of her to see if we could see eggs. The x-rays were not very clear but we could see what looked like eggs, and he said that it could not be anything else. Now this was on June 10th, and since then i have been feeding her like a queen and putting calcium on her food. I have also put a lay box in her cage. Well it is now July 14th and it does not seam like she has gotten any bigger, nor does she seam interested in her lay box. One thing that is different in her is that she has been going crazy in her cage. She is pacing back and forth at the front and scratching at the glass like a maniac! Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How did the facial injury occur? I only ask cause I want to know if there were multiple housed together which will tell me if she is gravid with fertile or infertile eggs.
Also, if they were housed in groups I want to let you know its not a good idea to house multiple dragons (especially not multiple males or male female, sometimes multiple females will work).

Have you checked her weight? they can look like they havent gained much but actually have put on 30-40 grams. If she is not interested in her laybox you may have the laybox setup wrong. Is it in her tank? If so try using a larger lay box outside of her tank. Is she still eating now? Or has she gone off food? Is she digging in corners?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
although i still recommend sticking close to your vet if you unsure of your circumstances, I'm inclined to let you know that there is difference in follicles and eggs, but that difference is hard to determine by xray.
Female dragons have follicles from 10+ months of age. Whether or not they develop into eggs is dependant on mating and the female herself.

If you think she definately is gravid (witnessed mating) then it's possible her laybox doesn't suit her. If she is housed with another dragon during this time, she could feel very vulnerable and insecure. A separate laybox outside her enclosure is recommended. Make sure the soil is damp and warm and mounded up on one end. That should prompt her to lay if she's ready.

devdomski

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you for your responses. I am sorry i did not provide more information. The injury occurred when she scratched her face on an outdoor enclosure that i recently built. My dragons are all housed separately, but ill put a couple of them together in the outdoor enclosure for some sun. The lay box is in her enclosure and takes up more then half of the space inside. It is about 10" deep and is filled with organic soil which i keep damp. What would you suggest for a lay box outside of the enclosure? Should i keep her in it all the time? Heated? I am not always home so that is why i put the lay box inside her enclosure. Can anyone explain her erratic behavior? Thank you again.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Her behavior is basically pretty normal for a gravid female ready to lay. I'm guessing this would be her first clutch and she's not experienced yet. Naturally this sets up stress. Limiting her options will help reduce that stress usually.
If I wanted to keep trying the laybox she currently has, I would ensure she can't see the other dragons. You can use newspaper or anything to cover her tank. This should also be calming.

you can set up her outside laybox (meaning outside her enclosure) in a rubbermaid or sterilite container, the kind thats at least 3 feet long, and 2 feet high. (the big ones). The same basic material you're currently using for laybox substrate. Use a screen top to cover and set her heat lamp over the screen to warm the mound.

This usually takes a bit of time, especially with young, inexperienced females. Her actions will come more naturally as the time gets closer.

I'm sorry she was injured on the enclosure you built. Hope that's turning out ok with the vets help!

devdomski

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She injured her face by frantically scraping her face along the screen of the outdoor enclosure which scraped off the scales on the tip of her mouth. this happened while she was in the enclosure with the male dragon. The vet gave me a cream for her and it has been working well.

Should i leave her in the lay box 24/7?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If it were me..........I'd give her a couple of more days inside her enclosure with her laybox. the less change there is, the easier she will move toward it.

If in about 3 or 4 days she hasn't laid eggs, I'd move her into the "outside" laybox for the majority of the time like when you're working or asleep. Note whether or not her appetite is steady or declining. Also note her bathroom habits and whether or not they have been more frequent lately, regardless of size .

devdomski

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He eating habits are fine. She ate her whole bowl (huge bowl) of lettuce today, and she also ate 6 superworms. Her bathroom habits are not as frequent as normal, but she usually always goes when i give her a bath.

I hung a towel over the front and sides of her enclosure, like you said, so she cant see us or any other dragons. hopefully there will be eggs soon so i can put everything back to normal lol. i plan to incubate the first clutch because i would like to keep one, and i have a few friends who would like to buy some babies.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You said you are feeding lettuce, Things like collard greens or bok choy have more calcium and give much more nutrition then just lettuce.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Have you started to prepare for the eggs? Here is an article that discusses how to care for you pregnant dragons and what needs to be done ahead of the eggs coming.
Breeding Bearded Dragons

Hope it helps. Good luck and keep us posted.

devdomski

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
staylor said:
You said you are feeding lettuce, Things like collard greens or bok choy have more calcium and give much more nutrition then just lettuce.

I feed my beardies collards.

devdomski

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So i bought a big rubbermaid container, filled it with organic soil, cut a hole on one end for the light and poked a few small holes in the other end as vents. I Put screen over the hole where the light is and stuck her in there.

All she has been trying to do is get out. she is ripping at the screening and just going nuts trying to get out. I am starting to get very frustrated.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
devdomski said:
So i bought a big rubbermaid container, filled it with organic soil, cut a hole on one end for the light and poked a few small holes in the other end as vents. I Put screen over the hole where the light is and stuck her in there.

All she has been trying to do is get out. she is ripping at the screening and just going nuts trying to get out. I am starting to get very frustrated.

If she hasnt had any weight gain and has no interest in digging she may not be gravid.

Is the soil you are using damp (damp not wet)?
You could try mixing some sifted children's play sand in with the soil maybe she doesnt like the texture of the digging media.

Latest posts