• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help kinda scared

Fwamingdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay my beardie has been having trouble after the first day of having her. First her appetite went and now she has had her eyes closed for 3 days.. The first problem I found out was that the Zilla UVB light that I had, had a plastic cover on it and was blocking all UVB light entering the cage so I took the plastic off more like ripped off because I was mad that they were so careless to put plastic over a UVB bulb.. Second taking the plastic off made her turn a dark brown and look bad so I looked up that Zilla lights could produce to much UVB and hurt the lizards eyes badly and cause other problems so I rushed to the store to get a reptisun 10.0 but they were completely out so I have to deal with a 5.0 version till Thursday because the nearest pet store that has them is 80 miles away. Third I had to replace the tile I had in the terrarium because is was the vinyl kind and I didn't know that it releases fumes when hot.. So now I have the reptile carpet back in and she changed back to her original color but she won't open her eyes or eat. So now I have no idea what to do.. Should id turn the UVB off and give her eye drops? And the temps on both ends are perfect from 110-115 on the basking side to 75-86 on the cold side.

Fwamingdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Guys I really need help I gave her a bath and she opened her eyes so I put a cricket in front of her and she ate it and now she is spazzing in the tank like laying down and convulsing

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's not the bath. it's not the cricket. How old is she? How long have you had her? They do need some time to transition. Convulsions are not normal. This is probably not something you can remedy. Where did you get her? You may want to contact the seller for an exchange.

Fwamingdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
this is her 5th night with me.... I think she just passed away. right after she ate the cricket she froze then went to her sun bathing spot then started spazzing now she isn't moving.. we have a 14 day contract on her but still this is horrible, even though its been a short time I was already attached

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sorry for your loss, obviously you got a sick dragon. Try getting a juvenile as they are more established, you lose a few inches of growth but get a sturdier dragon.

Fwamingdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
The vet at the store did an autopsy on her since it's part of the contract and found the cricket lodged in her throat, she was to weak to swallow it and it was a cricket a little bigger than a pen head.. They said it was just really bad luck, we now have a new addition to the family now and he is super active.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So sad for that little one. Excited for your new one!

Fwamingdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah it's kinda a sad and happy day, the new one is happy in her 75 gallon tank and has already ate all the salad I put in and I plan on giving her crickets tonight. How do y'all powder your crickets? Iv been try to find an easy way to do it.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Calcium powder in a Ziploc bag. Crickets in a Ziploc bag. Shake

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm coming in on this late, sorry for your loss. As far as dusting crickets, I do the plastic bag or just put them in a big solo cup and shake them around in it until they are coated. My beardies have learned the sound of food being shaken in a cup and they tend to get excited.

Latest posts