• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help feeding

CitrusStoli

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I need some help, my little guy is almost 10 inches,but I'm feeding him med nymph dubias roaches. He seems to only eat 1 or 2 of them, I know they are much larger than the crickets, so is this normal? He refuses to eat greens, at least as far as I can see. They dry up and shrivel in there. I'm feeding roaches when he eats in his cage. I put 4 or 5 in at a time because they aren't dumb, and will stop moving altogether if he goes for them, which throws him off. So any help would be great, he's very loving and I wish I had 10 more,but trying to get him to eat is interesting. Of course, the basking temps are 105-110 and humidity is like 28% or so.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dubias are an excellent feeder. Just make sure that whatever you feed your dragon is size appropriate, nothing bigger than the space between its eyes.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
hi - like Jeff said.
Make sure you offer greens even if he doesn't eat them. As they grown they need them.By adulthood, beardies should be eating 80% greens.
What greens have you tried. It's a matter of finding something you beardie likes. Sometimes you need to make it a tasty treat, i started off by adding just a little pureed baby apples.
Now my boy loves his greens as much as his protein.

CitrusStoli

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I will have to try to find some other greens to feed him, he doesn't seem to like collared greens at all. So I will have to keep hunting, squash and what else, mustard greens?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, mustard greens, dandelion, arugolla, endive, squash, sweet potato,(occasional spinach, kale & carrot)

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
mine doesn't seem to like collard greens i have seen him eat some bok choy though but can't feed him that as a stable

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
There is heaps that you can offer you beardie. Mine loves dandelions, endive, bokchoy, carrot greens, beetroot greens, celery greens, rose petals, pansy petals, lavander, rosemary, mint, rocket, raddish,cress squash, mango
Just try mixing a few together and i'm sure there will be something that tempts him. Here is a food list l use

Attachments

• food_list.pdf
    27.4 KB · Views: 21

CitrusStoli

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Just curious, I've tried squash now, and mustard greens, and collared greens, so far no takers. I will keep trying though. He's only eating about 4 to 5 roaches a day,they are good size, probably 4 or 5 small medium crickets I'd say size wise,is that enough? He looks to be growing,and he just started shedding a little on his head. If I have to go back to crickets I will, just hate the smell, the fact they jump everywhere is annoying. Any suggestions on feeding him roaches, he doesn't seem to like hand feeding, so far only took 2 out of my hand.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
try dandelion flowers and greens, some mango and maybe a little rocket or pepperbell. SOmething that has a lilttle punch to it. Radish is good or you can go the other wta and try a little mint, rosemary or basil. Do you have any of these in your fridge or garden??

CitrusStoli

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't, but the local shoprite has some in their garden :) , so I will head back tomorrow, right now the little guy is down for his bedtime. He knows it pretty well, it's pretty damn cute to be honest. He starts getting tired, and tries to fight to stay away haha. Felt bad, the one night he fell asleep on me, and putting him back he kept trying to stay in my hand. I feel so bad putting him back in.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i go to my local grocer and they will give me some beetroot greens and celery leaves for nothing, they also throw in turnip green and carrot greens too. I don't push my luch tho, so l only go in when l do my weekly shop and buy the other family needs

Latest posts