• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need advice on UVB for tank

Volkmer76

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm getting a headache from trying to figure out my uvb situation with my setup. As you can see I have a 120 gallon 4x2x2 foot enclosure, I decided to go with a 10.0 reptisun bulb housed in a t8 dome. Apparently this bulb only has 20" of uvb penetrarion, but I'm hearing that there are some people that use these just fine on top of their 120 gallon enclosures (despite them being 24" tall with mesh. I've also been told I should get a t5 dome instead, would this change the uvb penetration? I use some repti-zoo uvb sensor cards to test out the uvb at different ranges and it looks like they detect uvb at 24".

Any advice from experienced BD owners would be appreciated.
16067091647003604961377107505186.jpg

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
I would definitely go with a T5 UVB because it is stronger, I recommend the Arcadia because they will last for a year while other UVB have to be replaced in 6 months. Also what is your basking temperature and how are you measuring it

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Your tank is beautiful! Definitely go with the T5, since it can be mounted on top of the tank with no extra hassle (just make sure the beardie can get within 10-12" of the UVB). If you were to use the T8 you would have to mount it inside the tank and get the distance perfect.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your T 5 needs to go inside the tank - I have a 120 gallon tank and use a 24" zoo med mounted inside the tank w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 12-15 inches directly above basking decor - T 5's need to be replaced once a year I usually change mine out about a month before-- screens block out 30% of the rays--

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your T 5 needs to go inside the tank - I have a 120 gallon tank and use a 24" zoo med mounted inside the tank w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 12-15 inches directly above basking decor - T 5's need to be replaced once a year I usually change mine out about a month before-- screens block out 30% of the rays--
T 8's are not strong enough for a 120 gallon tank

Latest posts