• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

need advice on proper husbandry on set up when my 6 week old /10gram baby bearded dragon arrives (not for few weeks yet )

TigerScott79

Bearded Dragon Egg
long story short i put down payment on a hatchling to be held once hatches (end of dec ) and looking for proper advice and set up and things since last owned a beardy some 15 yrs ago has changed a bit. also advice given was to stick to 20gallon aq and 75/or 100 watt clear light bulbs . ive other reptiles and with my sulcata and panther chameleon ive always used 38 par halogen flood lights with dimmer switch to control tempatures with proper distance from animals back and from where they couldnt possibly get to close and get burned or hurt. however . i had already purchased a zen habitat (meridian ) 4x2x2 and have already ho t5 arcadia uvb . however would it be more proper to ustilize the 4x2x2 or stick with 20long aq for the 6 week old when arrives and then would you recomend the regular clear bulbs or the par 38 haolgens with dimmre or somthing altogether different . then there is (at least with other species of reptiles ) baby , juvenile , sub adult , adult temps are not always same so trying to nail down what exactly is proper temps as many sights ive researched are mainly saying adult temps (or not saying temps for a specfic life group) so trying to get this down ofc before my lil arrives . sorry with my disabilities im not great at wording or even typos so i apologize in advance . thanks for any advice truly.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
long story short i put down payment on a hatchling to be held once hatches (end of dec ) and looking for proper advice and set up and things since last owned a beardy some 15 yrs ago has changed a bit. also advice given was to stick to 20gallon aq and 75/or 100 watt clear light bulbs . ive other reptiles and with my sulcata and panther chameleon ive always used 38 par halogen flood lights with dimmer switch to control tempatures with proper distance from animals back and from where they couldnt possibly get to close and get burned or hurt. however . i had already purchased a zen habitat (meridian ) 4x2x2 and have already ho t5 arcadia uvb . however would it be more proper to ustilize the 4x2x2 or stick with 20long aq for the 6 week old when arrives and then would you recomend the regular clear bulbs or the par 38 haolgens with dimmre or somthing altogether different . then there is (at least with other species of reptiles ) baby , juvenile , sub adult , adult temps are not always same so trying to nail down what exactly is proper temps as many sights ive researched are mainly saying adult temps (or not saying temps for a specfic life group) so trying to get this down ofc before my lil arrives . sorry with my disabilities im not great at wording or even typos so i apologize in advance . thanks for any advice truly.
Use the 20 gallon till he's about 3 months old - uvb a long tube fixture like your Arcadia - is it the 12% bulb ? You want a solid clear bright white basking bulb-- 105-110 surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- start w/ a 75 watt- smaller tanks are hard to keep temps-- I used a 20 gallon long for blaze then moved him at 3 months into the 120 gallon tank - but everything I posted are critical- the Arcadia bulb is going to tell me distance- you don't want a 14% bulb it will be way too strong for to he 20 gallon - 12% will be pushing it but do able you will haft to have it sitting on top w/ it unobstructed at least 12 inches up to 15 inches most

TigerScott79

Bearded Dragon Egg
Use the 20 gallon till he's about 3 months old - uvb a long tube fixture like your Arcadia - is it the 12% bulb ? You want a solid clear bright white basking bulb-- 105-110 surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- start w/ a 75 watt- smaller tanks are hard to keep temps-- I used a 20 gallon long for blaze then moved him at 3 months into the 120 gallon tank - but everything I posted are critical- the Arcadia bulb is going to tell me distance- you don't want a 14% bulb it will be way too strong for to he 20 gallon - 12% will be pushing it but do able you will haft to have it sitting on top w/ it unobstructed at least 12 inches up to 15 inches most
yea its a 12%ho t5 arcadia . ty btw truly , so it should be 12-15 inches away from where the beardie baby will be basking or no more then that far away(sry jsut clarifying)

TigerScott79

Bearded Dragon Egg
These are what I was told to use for the 29long aquarium with baby beardy (plus ofc the t5 12%Arcadia) thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231129_170645_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20231129_170645_Gmail.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
These are what I was told to use for the 29long aquarium with baby beardy (plus ofc the t5 12%Arcadia) thoughts?
No on those clear bulbs- you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb - examples are Flukers basking--Exo Terra Intense or a Arcadia Halogen bulb - make sure your using a digital probe thermometer to get surface basking temps -- I am posting a pic of my 20 long when Blaze was in it -- the basking bulb was clamped to the end there is no screen on the tank and the UVB was positioned going width wise w/ basking area all together -- UVB and basking bulb the fixture hanging was a CHE used for a day or two then I shut it off after I got temps adjusted -- start w/a 75 watt that is what I used on mine ---

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_084445.jpg
    IMG_20190914_084445.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yea its a 12%ho t5 arcadia . ty btw truly , so it should be 12-15 inches away from where the beardie baby will be basking or no more then that far away(sry jsut clarifying)
Distance should be 12-15 inches w/ no screen - I posted a pic of my 20 gallon ---

TigerScott79

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ty , I had feeling those were improper however was recommended so wanted double check . With my sulcata and my panther chameleon I've always used 38 par 75 or 100 watt halogen floods on a dimmer so thought was super odd being told to use light bulbs versus what I use but ik each species reptile might be different.

Latest posts