• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need a Feeding Suggestion

Braxton619

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi guys I got my beardie 4-5 days ago. I got him like a day before school started back. What I usually do now is leave basking light from 6AM - 6PM everyday. I have to wake up at 6AM to get ready for school. When I wake up he is usually still asleep. I usually got school from 8-3 and job from 3-6:30.

I was wondering is there a way I can feed him crickets around 6:30 PM? I leave bearded dragon food in a bowl in there 24/7. It is pellets you buy from pet stores and i'll usually put some vegetables in there as well. Can he eat them until I get home?

I read from the Internet that it is a good idea for maximum digestion to feed your dragon: 1 hour in basking light BEFORE feeding, 2 hours in basking light AFTER feeding

He doesn't go to bed until 9-10.

P.S. If it helps, he is a juvenile... probably 2-3+ months old. I purchased him from PetSmart.

Thanks everyone!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmmmm. Schedule conflicts can be a pain! I have all my lighting on automatic timers. They cost about $5 at home depot, walmart, target, etc. (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)
Maybe you could have his lights stay on a bit later so as to give him ample time to bask after you feed him? With the lights on timers you could easily have the lights programmed from 8am-8pm or something similar

Braxton619

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hmmmm. Schedule conflicts can be a pain! I have all my lighting on automatic timers. They cost about $5 at home depot, walmart, target, etc. (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)
Maybe you could have his lights stay on a bit later so as to give him ample time to bask after you feed him? With the lights on timers you could easily have the lights programmed from 8am-8pm or something similar

The only problem is he is asleep in the morning. I got to get to school by 7AM and I believe he wakes up around 8-9am. I do not want to wake him up because then it might stress him out.

This is the food that is his main food meal:
http://www.repcal.com/BDragon.htm
(Juvenile food)

I could also put some fresh vege's in the morning so he would have 2 sources to eat from. Then when I get back from work around 6:30, I could feed him crickets.

Does that sound okay?
BTW, Thanks so much for the lighting suggestion!

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
a young dragon needs to eat twice per day or he will not grow to his potential. live insects are always better than prepackaged food. do what i do when i do a show or have to leave early. turn him on at 5:30am. give him an hour to wake up then feed him right before you leave.its ok to leave a few crickets in the day during the day as long as you also leave the greens in the tank. the crickets will eat the greens and your dragon will be alert enough to not let the crickets hurt him. then feed him when you get home and allow him one hour to bask after feeding before you turn him off. i have my guys on 14hrs a day so there is room for adjustment.

Latest posts