• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Neat Observation

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
While I was bathing Frank today I noticed it was as if somebody sprayed him with red/orange paint. He's got tons of red and orange tints on his body. His belly and top of his head has the most red. He never had coloring like that when he was younger and I noticed some red (barely noticeable) about a year ago but with every shed it seems like it's coming out more and more. I thought it was pretty neat. I have a couple pictures but he started to get cold and get dark so you can't really see

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's cool. Is it normal for frills to turn red?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For Aussies I've noticed they get redder with age from lookin at my friend's. New Guinea supposedly has a red phase too but it's not very common but everyone says it shows up on the frill only and not the body. *shrugs* At first I thought Frank had red ants on him but I looked closer and it's just his scales have more color now.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Some of the pictures finished uploading. They aren't the best though. The mark on Frank's head is a scar from when he jumped and hit the light when I was adjusting his basking spot last year.

IMG_7390.jpg

IMG_7388.jpg

IMG_7381.jpg

IMG_7380.jpg

IMG_7378.jpg

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
do you think he may be a hybrid and you didn't know it? Or was he WC
Frank was CBB and labeled as a pure NG. I refused to get a WC after what I went through with my 1st one I tried saving. For the price I paid for him I wouldn't disagree Frank was a NG either. Hybrids are almost as much as a pure Aussie ($500+) and usually are much larger than NG and Frank is average size for a NG. I'm puzzled with this one.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
crypticdragons said:
do you think he may be a hybrid and you didn't know it? Or was he WC
Frank was CBB and labeled as a pure NG. I refused to get a WC after what I went through with my 1st one I tried saving. For the price I paid for him I wouldn't disagree Frank was a NG either. Hybrids are almost as much as a pure Aussie ($500+) and usually are much larger than NG and Frank is average size for a NG. I'm puzzled with this one.

well every animal is different but he could also be a quarter. It could be possible that the breeder had a hybrid and either didn't know it or didn't advertise it (due to the distaste that there seems to be for hybrids in the frillie hobby) and bred it to a NG thus you get a dragon that is mostly NG but may develop some traits of its aussie heritage.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Anything is definitely a possibility in this case. I'll see if I can get pictures of the red NG so I can show you guys

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
Anything is definitely a possibility in this case. I'll see if I can get pictures of the red NG so I can show you guys

What do your guys on the frillie forum have to say about it?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In the process of posting that actually. So no answer yet but I'm willing to bet most of them have no clue either lol

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My friend Chad's pure Aussie
frilled3.jpg

coldbloodcages Brendan's Red NG
attachment.php

Mike (member of my site) Hybrids
attachment.php

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow. he has a lot on his head. Keep us posted on this please

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In terms of care they are nothing like beardies but in terms of personality they can be aggressive or very timid or very sweet and affectionate like my Frank is.