• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Natural?

Beardie123

Juvenile Dragon
My beardie rosie is about (8 months old) well over a foot long nose to tail tip , she has been agressive lately every time i open her tank to grab or pet her she puffs up but when i pick her up she is fine is this normal? & yesterday i put her to walk around my house and my dog was out he smelled her & she puffed up, then i picked her up till she calmed down and then put her back and she jumped on me and started opening her mouth as if to bite is this natural?

35 gallon tank
Substrate- repti carpet
Uva/uvb bulb- 10.5 desert
Red night heat emitter & Day basking bulb

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All natural behavior of perceived threats. She may not really want to be picked up, but then becomes resigned to it afterwards & tolerates it. The dog was likely perceived as a threat & you for putting her in that position.

You will find that your BD will do better all round without the red night light, a CHE is a much better choice that won't bother the BD at night. Night heat is only needed if the ambient room temps drop below the mid to low 60s F. BDs should be allowed to cool at night, slows the metabolism for a good nights sleep. If it does need night heat for this reason, just enough to take the edge off should be provided.

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
Mine was always nice too then one time he ran down my back and when I went to get him he bit me. Then he took a leap off my shoulder twice. I just put him back and left him alone sure enough he started shedding the next day.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Mine was always nice too then one time he ran down my back and when I went to get him he bit me. Then he took a leap off my shoulder twice. I just put him back and left him alone sure enough he started shedding the next day.
That little booger....when they shed they can really be moody. I had one recent shed and didn't even know he was shedding....lol!! :D

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Seems like their sheds and grumpiness with their sheds get worse the older they get.

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
i could understand that. i would be grumpy if my skin was peeling and it was itchy uncomfortable and have no thumbs to help pick the skin off. -.-

steven actually appreciates it when i kinda help her by misting her with some water. :3 i don't try to handler her tho when it's that time of month because she looks so uncomfortable and kinda you know.. but it's cute tho, her facial expression looks like this (>_>) her eyes get all squinty ahah.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
I think my beardie is about to shed because he was rubbing his head all over his rock earlier this morning which is usually what he does when he is about to shed....I also noticed that he is a much a darker color and I always get worried when that happens because I heard that could also mean the baby is stressed but it also seems to happen right before he is about to shed. He doesn't seem any grumpier to me than usual, he still snuggles with me and lets me pet him which is good, and he still has a great appetite! I am still getting used to learning the signs of right before the beardie sheds so I can be more aware of his mood.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
my bearded was very messow for a while, but now that hes 6 months old i think hes a "teenager" cuz he is a lot more active then he use to be and puffs up at all my animals and himself in the mirror.

i think it has somthing to do with their age, though thats just from watching what mines done.

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
Not to hijack the thread, but this might belong here:
I have a 20 gal. long tank, my daylight heating bulb is 60 watts. I worried this is not enough heat.

What wattage should I be using?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A proper thermometer will tell you whether you have the right temps or not. Measured directly at the basking spot, the closest point that your BD has access to the center of heat bulb, with a digital thermometer with a sensor\probe & at the coolest area of the enclosure, generally the floor area furthest from the heat bulb.

We all have to play with bulbs & wattages for our own particular setup & room situations.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm. Speaking of grumpy beardies, she won't even go to grammy. Not even to sit on her for one second. She's shedding around her tail, vent, and side. She's been rubbing her body on everything including me. "Oh Mommmy! Help me with this shed by running water on me or misting me. Or just sitting with me or maybe taking me outside for a run on the harness. Then I want to cuddle with you under your chin."

Pat B

Super Moderator
Giver her a warm bath and let her soak. That will help the shedding. My Spike had a huge shed on Friday....belly and back. Big pieces of shed came off. I gave him a long warm bath and then a while later I misted him and the shed fell off.

Pat B

Super Moderator
I think my beardie is about to shed because he was rubbing his head all over his rock earlier this morning which is usually what he does when he is about to shed....I also noticed that he is a much a darker color and I always get worried when that happens because I heard that could also mean the baby is stressed but it also seems to happen right before he is about to shed. He doesn't seem any grumpier to me than usual, he still snuggles with me and lets me pet him which is good, and he still has a great appetite! I am still getting used to learning the signs of right before the beardie sheds so I can be more aware of his mood.
I think beardies need a mood necklace....our little boogers sure can be moody! :D

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
They sure can be extremely moody and the thing that is so concerning is that it can happen so fast and of course I am a beardie Mommy so I get all worried and nervous!!! LOL....;)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She's got a tough spot that won't shed just yet. I gave her a running water bath. She seemed to like sitting under a warm water rush. :)

Latest posts