• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nail Filing

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
After switching from slate to ceramic tiles I noticed some of Kratos' nails were getting a bit sharp so I decided to file them for the first time today. I got my quality glass file out and started with his feet and to my surprise not only did he sit through it but actually seemed to really like it! He started making digging motions with his hands (he really likes to dig) and when I got to his hands he sat perfectly still and got extra cozy on my pillow. When I put him back in his enclosure he started digging even more! I swear my guy loves to be pampered!

NBLD

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm happy to read this bc Arya now has a torn nail and I want to file them down. I hope she's as good as Krato is!

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Good luck with Arya! Use a glass file if you can find one. It's gentler.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
BDs nails are supposed to be sharp ... for climbing & hanging on to things. In all the years that I have been in the hobby & all the BDs that I have kept, only twice have I ever clipped a BDs claws & that was only because they had grown to a length that was causing the toes to turn sideways, making it necessary.

I always keep a good sized rock or 2 in all my enclosures to act as an emery board naturally while it climbs & perches on them.

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Most of Kratos' nails get filed down but there are about 6 that get really sharp as he likes digging in a swimming motion since he is just digging the tile. He is convinced he is actually making progress I'm sure! Though I have large rocks in his enclosure he tends to grip with his stomach fat rather than his claws.

NBLD

Bearded Dragon Egg
If they are naturally filed down in the wild, and not as domestic pets, do we file?

NBLD

Bearded Dragon Egg
I ask bc Arya has a torn nail and they are long. I think it snagged on us or her tank. :/

Latest posts