• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Sons New Friend

Waffen06

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all, like to introduce our new beardie Houdini. My mother in law raised him for the last four years but recently decided with their work and traveling to offer him to my 8 year old son. We received him with his enclosure and everything. Ive done what research I could and first thing I did was order a new light. They had two dual fixtures running a basking bulb, 2 uvb spiral bulbs and a red night bulb. I left the basking and ordered a 24" t5 fixture (with free 5.0 bulb but have a 10.0 ordered that will be here tomorrow). I also added a hammock as he only has the rock structure. I want to replace the bedding stuff they used with tile and maybe get a piece of driftwood for him but my wife is afraid changing so much so fast wont be good for him. She thinks since hes done well the past 4 years to just leave it how it is.
20210817_195342.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello all, like to introduce our new beardie Houdini. My mother in law raised him for the last four years but recently decided with their work and traveling to offer him to my 8 year old son. We received him with his enclosure and everything. Ive done what research I could and first thing I did was order a new light. They had two dual fixtures running a basking bulb, 2 uvb spiral bulbs and a red night bulb. I left the basking and ordered a 24" t5 fixture (with free 5.0 bulb but have a 10.0 ordered that will be here tomorrow). I also added a hammock as he only has the rock structure. I want to replace the bedding stuff they used with tile and maybe get a piece of driftwood for him but my wife is afraid changing so much so fast wont be good for him. She thinks since hes done well the past 4 years to just leave it how it is. View attachment 28935
Welcome to the forum and Houdini --- I am so glad you have gotten rid of the red bulb and the coil UVB's - the screen on the tank looks like its a wide hole type--? If it is the T 5 can stay on top but please have the basking decor piece directly under it 8-10 inches --- the tile is a good option - make sure its a slated ceramic tile for traction so hes not slipping and not to rough to cause abrasions -- Houdini looks like hes out grown that tank -- I would consider getting him a bigger tank before getting the tile - a 75-120 gallon is recommended for a adult dragon --- also basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer 95-100 -- I see the one digital in the tank but all your getting is ambient temps and you want actual basking temps of where he sits -- please ask if you need more help --- Houdini needs 3 temps in the tank basking side of 95-100 middle of the tank 90's and the cool side 80's during the day and 65-75 at nite --- also I would invest in a digital probe hygrometer -- optimal humidity 30-50% nothing under 20 and nothing over 70% - place the probe on the back center wall it will read the whole tank

Waffen06

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum and Houdini --- I am so glad you have gotten rid of the red bulb and the coil UVB's - the screen on the tank looks like its a wide hole type--? If it is the T 5 can stay on top but please have the basking decor piece directly under it 8-10 inches --- the tile is a good option - make sure its a slated ceramic tile for traction so hes not slipping and not to rough to cause abrasions -- Houdini looks like hes out grown that tank -- I would consider getting him a bigger tank before getting the tile - a 75-120 gallon is recommended for a adult dragon --- also basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer 95-100 -- I see the one digital in the tank but all your getting is ambient temps and you want actual basking temps of where he sits -- please ask if you need more help --- Houdini needs 3 temps in the tank basking side of 95-100 middle of the tank 90's and the cool side 80's during the day and 65-75 at nite --- also I would invest in a digital probe hygrometer -- optimal humidity 30-50% nothing under 20 and nothing over 70% - place the probe on the back center wall it will read the whole tank
The light is a t5, the center "rock" is right under his light. Ive used my infrared thermometer and it was at 95 on top of his rock. So I should move it to one side and move the basking light over as well? I unfortunately dont know if we will be able to get a larger tank, its in my son's room on his dresser (which we bought just to hold this one) and there isnt anymore room anywhere.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The light is a t5, the center "rock" is right under his light. Ive used my infrared thermometer and it was at 95 on top of his rock. So I should move it to one side and move the basking light over as well? I unfortunately dont know if we will be able to get a larger tank, its in my son's room on his dresser (which we bought just to hold this one) and there isnt anymore room anywhere.
Hes outgrown the tank --- can you put him in the LR ? they do like to socialize -- can you move the dresser and him to another room?

Waffen06

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hes outgrown the tank --- can you put him in the LR ? they do like to socialize -- can you move the dresser and him to another room?
Unfortunately our house is over 100 years old and true to the time has small rooms. The only space in our family room is occupied by my saltwater aquarium. Has him living in this tank for the past 4 years hurt him? Definitely want him to be happy and the kids get him out daily but maybe we dont have the space to accommodate him.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Unfortunately our house is over 100 years old and true to the time has small rooms. The only space in our family room is occupied by my saltwater aquarium. Has him living in this tank for the past 4 years hurt him? Definitely want him to be happy and the kids get him out daily but maybe we dont have the space to accommodate him.
It would be optimal for a bigger tank but if they are getting him out daily for a few hours a day that is great --- he would do better in a bigger tank -- I would get the substrate changed out for sure even some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank would be better than the loose stuff -- its also more sanitary clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 --- but do what you need to --- w/ him getting the attention and being out is going to benefit him even w/ the small tank :) I was looking at the tank again what size is it?

Waffen06

Bearded Dragon Egg
It would be optimal for a bigger tank but if they are getting him out daily for a few hours a day that is great --- he would do better in a bigger tank -- I would get the substrate changed out for sure even some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank would be better than the loose stuff -- its also more sanitary clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 --- but do what you need to --- w/ him getting the attention and being out is going to benefit him even w/ the small tank :) I was looking at the tank again what size is it?
36x18x18 so roughly 50 gallons. I would like to get some tiles at Lowes and cut them to fit.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
36x18x18 so roughly 50 gallons. I would like to get some tiles at Lowes and cut them to fit.
Ok a 50 gallon is ok -- tiles are nice I have them in my tank - this is one of my tanks its a 120 gallon Zen

Attachments

• Hiccup tank 8-8-2021.jpg
    Hiccup tank 8-8-2021.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 9

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello all, like to introduce our new beardie Houdini. My mother in law raised him for the last four years but recently decided with their work and traveling to offer him to my 8 year old son. We received him with his enclosure and everything. Ive done what research I could and first thing I did was order a new light. They had two dual fixtures running a basking bulb, 2 uvb spiral bulbs and a red night bulb. I left the basking and ordered a 24" t5 fixture (with free 5.0 bulb but have a 10.0 ordered that will be here tomorrow). I also added a hammock as he only has the rock structure. I want to replace the bedding stuff they used with tile and maybe get a piece of driftwood for him but my wife is afraid changing so much so fast wont be good for him. She thinks since hes done well the past 4 years to just leave it how it is. View attachment 28935
Hi congrats on your new beardie. We reacue & rehome so here are some hot tips. First and most remove the red bulb or any colored or coiled bulbs it’s horrible for them. Only use the clear zoomed for heat and the long uvb light for uvb. Please get the 10.0 UVB NOT the 5.0. The 5.0 emits little to NO uvb. Replace the UVB every 6Mnths religiously. The best UVB is the Reptisun 10.0 T5. Keep both the uvb and heat lights on for 10-12 hours in the winter more like 10 & in the summer keep both on for 12-14 hours more like 14; they have more energy in the summer. Humidity should be 30-40 never higher than 40. Turn all lights off at bedtime & remove all Food & water from his tank or he can get an URinfection or a parasite. At night in the winter u can use a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter from Petsmart which emits warmth but not light. Only use it if the temp in his cage drops below 70 in the winter. Make sure he gets his fresh plate of greens/veggies everyday & place it on the cold side; switch it out when it gets wilted. The best everyday ones are: mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash which has lots of calcium, butternut squash, endives, snap pease and green beans. 2-3 times per week as treats give him blueberries, mangoes, papayas or bananas & apples. Do a mix of 2-4 greens/veggies per day. Proteins: crickets or Dubias a few times a week dusted once per day 2-3 times a week with calcium powder & once per week/day use herptivite. He looks a bit overweight pelase don’t ever feed mealworms it’s makes them fat & it’s very unhealthy & impacts them. Superworms are good as treats only cuz they are high in fat. But crickets and Dubia roaches are best. Dust them with calcium 3times per week. Baths do once per week w/dechlorinated lukewarm water for 15min minimum. More baths when he’s shedding. Buy Reptisafe from petco they are drops that remove the chlorine. Most him a fee times a day also with dechlorinated water. Also consider placing a soft cloth above the hammock Amd a fleece blanket underneath it so he has a bed/comfy hideaway his basking platform mite be too small for him To sleep inside. Here are pics of mine. Also they love soft comfy things Amd they love watching tv., soft mellow shows like friends, I love Raymond Amd cartoons. That’s there entertainment is to watch things move.

Attachments

• 1F31DDE3-8DB9-42C8-9F0B-7177CE50B569.jpeg
    1F31DDE3-8DB9-42C8-9F0B-7177CE50B569.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • A54073A8-FC6B-4131-B11F-2FD7BBBDE814.jpeg
    A54073A8-FC6B-4131-B11F-2FD7BBBDE814.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • CA365F9A-34A6-43C9-A02B-D6DBA56C4C05.jpeg
    CA365F9A-34A6-43C9-A02B-D6DBA56C4C05.jpeg
    791 KB · Views: 7
  • AD7E5B35-D667-4EA9-AF62-D18550C53E10.jpeg
    AD7E5B35-D667-4EA9-AF62-D18550C53E10.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 72722A9C-8535-4843-BD9F-4F143BA64681.jpeg
    72722A9C-8535-4843-BD9F-4F143BA64681.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok a 50 gallon is ok -- tiles are nice I have them in my tank - this is one of my tanks its a 120 gallon Zen
Looks great however why do u have soo many lights? U need the zoomed for heat & the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB and replace the uvb every 6Mnths. Never use colored or coiled bulbs and at night no lights except I’m the winter of temp drops below 70 u can use a 60watt ceramic heater which emits warmth but no light.

Waffen06

Bearded Dragon Egg
Looks great however why do u have soo many lights? U need the zoomed for heat & the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB and replace the uvb every 6Mnths. Never use colored or coiled bulbs and at night no lights except I’m the winter of temp drops below 70 u can use a 60watt ceramic heater which emits warmth but no light.
I only have two lights? His basking and the new t5. They gave me the other ones and said thats what they always used but I removed them and just run the two.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I only have two lights? His basking and the new t5. They gave me the other ones and said thats what they always used but I removed them and just run the two.
Great make sure it’s the 10.0 T5 Reptisun oleaee and it needs replacing every 6Mnths religiously otherwise the Beardie will get MBD it’s heartbreaking. U prolly don’t know when the last time the prior owners replaced it so I wud get a new one now. U can order from WallMart, Amazon or Carolina cages has the Reptisun and some specialty pet stores. Petco Amd Petsmart only have the T8 and that’s not brought Enuff for a tank or for a Beardie to thrive.

Krystal0

Juvenile Dragon
Like to know how to pronounce his|Her name.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
He should still be fine as long as you frequently get him out of his home to hang out and say hello! My guy personally hated being in my bedroom where he could only see the wall because he likes to watch everything around the house and he especially loves watching my mom vacuum haha.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi welcome and congrats on your beardie. Gr8 job on the hammock they love it. Underneath place a fleece blanket and on top do the hammock a soft terry cloth so he can hide under it to sleep Amd get away from the UVb as needed. Most important thing to remember is always replace the 10.0 T5 long UVB every 6Mnths religiously or he will get MBD. Make sure it’s 10inches or more away. Use the clear zoomed for heat; never the coiled or colored bulbs so food job on ordering it and ridding of the colored bulbs. Leave both lights on for 12-14 hours in the summer; more like 14 & in the winter leave both lights on for 10-12 hours. At nite all lights off. You can use a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter at nite for sleeping only in the winter if the temp In his cage drops below 70.
Also he looks overweight. NO mealworms they are very fatty & bad for the digestive system and it impacts them. Feed crickets & dubia roaches and u can do some superworms as treats cuz they are high in fat but a good feeder. Dust the feeders in repcal calcium powder once per day 3 times per week and once per day/week with herptivite vitamin powder. Lightly sprinkle like salt on fries when u do the calcium or the herptivite. And always/everyday place a fresh plate of fresh greens/veggies for him. The best everyday ones are mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash, butternut squash, snap peas, green beans, and endives. Switch it out when it gets soft or wilty. Twice over week as treats give him blueberries, mangoes or papaya u can do bananas once in a while too but in moderation cuz too much sugar is bad for them. Remove all food and water from the cage at bedtime & mist him a few times daily with dechlorinated water and do baths twice a week for 15min minimum in Luke warm water which is a very very light warm a sliver above cold. When he sheds do more baths; Buy Reptisafe it removes the chlorine. Enjoy the Beardie.

Latest posts