• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My next Terrarium purchase

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I am seeking some advice...

My beardie is still young, but growing quick. He's probably about 8 inches right now.
I've been looking to upgrade his home and so far, this is the best one I can find:
http://www.exo-terra.com/download/high_res/products/images/PT2613_Natural_Terrarium_Filled.jpg
36” x 18” x 18” (WxDxH)

I can't help but think there has to be something a little larger available, but I can't find any (without paying a lot for a custom setup). I know everyone has been saying Beardies don't need huge tanks, but I would love to offer him a home with ample room.

Does anyone know anywhere else I can look for something maybe 48 inches long (instead of 36) but still 18" (or more) depth? Or perhaps a place that offers reasonably priced custom tanks using the dimensions I am looking for? My current tank is 48" x 12" x 20", 50 gallons (long, but only a foot deep). I almost feel like I'd be downgrading because I'll be losing 1 foot in total width (in exchange for 6 extra inches in depth).

As an adult, would Drogo feel too confined in the tank mentioned above or do you think this would be a smart purchase? I found the terrarium above for $130 at a local PetSmart but just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
You don't need to go with a reptile specific tank. Try getting a screen top for a 55+ gal aquarium. They have them available!

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I was originally turned on to the ventilation, rockwall and the doors built into the exo terra, but maybe you're right...

If I upgrade my current 50 gallon aquarium to the 75 gallon, I'll keep my 48" width and will have 6 1/2 inches more depth + 1 inch more on the height. I'll just have to get a screentop. Damn, thanks for talking some sense back into me. I'm glad I didn't settle for something I wasn't thrilled about. I won't compromise my tank size if I don't have to.

Jerin Zorb

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You don't need to go with a reptile specific tank. Try getting a screen top for a 55+ gal aquarium. They have them available!
I had a 55 gal aquarium and I got a screen top for it and that is what he is in now. It's a pain to take off cause I have to take of two light and a big 48" UVB light.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That looks like a glass top to me... keep in mind UVB can't go through solid glass or plastic.

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Wow, I did NOT think it would be this hard to find a hinged screentop online for a 48 x 18 tank. GlassCages.com has one but the hinge runs from back to front which is kinda pointless for me. I would still have to remove lights to access my dragon. Does anyone know any other sources I could check? Google has showed me no love so far.

I was also wondering if I could buy 2 smaller screentops to cover each half, separated by the bracket on the top of the aquarium. I was searching for 24 x 9 screentops but I only see 24 x 12 and 20 x 10. I don't think those will work. I was hoping to upgrade this weekend but I'm kinda stumped on a solution for the screentop...

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I'm making my own for a bowfront. it's a slow moving project...

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Awesome, I got my bonus at work and blew about $350 on upgrades for Drogo.
I'm still waiting on a couple things to come in the mail but once I receive them, I'll make a vid of his new setup for you guys to see and give feedback on...

Dubya11

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey, i don't know if you have already found out what your going to do but go to ZILLA.com and look at they're Turtle tanks...i love the tank i got the turtle tanks are short but offer alot of floor space making them Economical to heat and supply with lighting. while giving them plenty of space. There is a cover for where the filter goes but i personally built stairs so my bearded can come and go as she pleases(when i leave it open of course)..awesome tanks tho man.! Zilla.com Turtle Tanks check it out for real dude.

Dubya11

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Just don't do a screen top...get the heat lamp to attach to the edge of your tank. and Superglue and then silicone the Light fixture into the back glass part of the wall..should work just fine..then you don't even need a top..or get a top but glue the lightpart inside the tank and just move the heat-lamp when you get her out.

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I actually ended up getting a 75 gallon tank and modified a screen top for it. The top is a MUST due to my 2 very curious cats :) I plan on shooting a video very soon of my new setup. Thanks for the info though, much appreciated.

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
look forward 2 seeing pics of ur beardie's new set up, drogo!!!! once i get a few bucks saved up, i'd very much like 2 build my beardie a custom enclosure!!!!! :)

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I cant believe how difficult it is to find stuff for beardies online...I see custom stuff for a $1000! asside from that even looking for large aquariums online is tought....I finally found a 75 gal fish tank aquarium in the paper, older, the molding doesnt look too good but the glass is all fine and everything is intact, just needs a cleaning, amazingly for $50! I couldnt believe it, I was like...SOLD! haha. Now I just have to go pick it up and disinfect it..Draco will be soooo happy :)

Latest posts