• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my little beardie wont eat his salad and doesn't eat alot

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My baby bearded dragon is about 3 months old I have him in a 55 gallon tank exo terra 125 w solar dome and 2 10.0 compact fluorescent uvb bulbs he only eats about 3 crickets a day and sometimes small mealworms . I have done research and read that baby beardies should be eating 25 or more crickets a day. I even dust his food and provide him with fresh veggies everyday. his basking spot ranges from 95 to 110 and the cool side is 75 to 85 humidity 30 to 50% i also have a temp probe on his basking spot and cool side and a humidty reader. Can someone help me out please?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
At a younger age dragons don't dig in 2 their greens that often, they rely more on a protein diet 2 help develop a healthy growth rate. 4 now, try feeding crix & other live food in a separate smaller enclosure or plastic tub.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Like JeffO said, it's a normal thing that babies don't eat their greens. It's like they are little kids, lol. Focus on providing more feeders for him. I have heard of babies eating around 50 crickets a day.

Try to avoid mealworms because the have more shell than meat and not a lot of nutrition. Plus they can cause impaction.

Is you little one still going poop like normal? Is he active?

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
25-50 crickets a day for babies? mine tops off with about 10 a day (and most times that is even high for him) ... i dont want to force him to eat. he gets a salad and baby pellets every day as well. but as long as he is active and pooping normally, then all is fine??

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
thank you for the advice he has started eating his salad and he ate about 6 crickets today so i will see how he does tomorrow i just worry alot even my wife says i worry too much but hey i just want everything perfect

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
All beardies are different. My baby hated being fed in a bin. They are comfortable in their enclosures so why not feed them in their homes?! I use forceps and feed my baby one by one and that's the only way he eats. In the bin he ate about 3 a day and when I feed him one by one in his Gage he east atleast a dozen sometimes two dozen a day. Maybe try this method and see if it helps. Also lakeside he is well hydrated:) good luck! Keep us posted:)

AnthonyF

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm in the same boat. My 2 month old won't touch the tastiest greens available. I'm assuming, like others said, is that he isn't comfortable yet.

Latest posts