• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My dragon has scales on her beard that are always black (for the last few weeks)

Ann Coyne

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi, for the last weeks, my female dragon has scales under her chin staying black. Early in May, she laid 3 eggs. I took her to the vet and had her x-rayed and a fecal. Her fecal was good and the x-ray was not showing any more eggs. She did not have the black scales yet. However, she did lay one egg the first weekend in June.

She is eating well and does not appear distressed - however, some of the scales on her beard remain black. I am not sure this is because of the eggs, hormones ??? Or maybe she is not comfortable - I do not know. Any help will be appreciated. Her lights are Reptile Sun or Arcadia, I have a UVB meter. The temps are like 100 on the hot side and 80 on the cool side. She is three years old and the first time she laid eggs.
Babys black scales .jpg

Ann Coyne

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The UVB lights are tube. I had dragons for about 10 years and have all of the lights and temp correct. I use a heat gun and UVB meter to check. She has not shed recently. In the summer...She gets to bask in real sun as well. My other dragon is fine. She naturally is grey and black...but the black scales are not right. I will take her back to the vet...but they seem limited when it comes to reptiles. Even when they are supposed to be focused in that area.

Latest posts