• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My dragon doesnt eat sometimes?

Krypt0nite1989

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok. I'm new to the whole bearded dragon, and I love it. He is the coolest pet I have ever had and I enjoy laying with him, he loves to cuddle.

I just have one concern. Sometimes it seems like he doesn't wanna eat? Is that normal? Yesterday he ate three crickets in a row, and today he just lets them pass by his face and completely ignores it.

Is this normal? He is a baby, about 4-5 inches long not including his tale.

He doesn't seem skinny or anything, he seems pretty fit.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A baby should be eating more than 3 crickets a day. Can you remind me how long you have had your dragon?

Krypt0nite1989

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have had him for almost 2 weeks now. Two weeks will be this coming thursday.

He seems very healthy. He's not skinny or anything.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
First I wonder if baby isn't in shed, as this can depress the appetite.
Second, are the feeders no longer than the distance between dragon's eyes ?
Third, before yesterday ( the yesterday in your original post) how many crickets was baby eating daily ?
Fourth, if baby is not in shed, basking temps are good (between 105-120), uvb good and within 6-8" away; I would suggest getting a fecal exam.

Given the size from nose to vent ?, I would say you have a 7-8 week old baby... Same age that I received Orion and Gemini almost 2 years ago..
Hope this helps, and I'll wait for the answers to my questions.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As Janie pointed out, temps are very important to a dragon's appetite and digestive process. With the proper temps and UV light (I am partial to the ReptiSun 10.0 tube), you dragon will eat a healthy diet. As pointed out, sheds and worms can attribute to lack of appetite.

Krypt0nite1989

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He doesn't seem to be sheding yet. I haven't noticed any skin coming off of him.

I didn't know the crickets have to be close to him. But just now it crawled on his back and he just looked at it and closed his eyes.

Yesterday was the first time I got him live crickets. He was eating dead ones and I was told if he ate them I didn't have to buy live ones. But I wanted to give him a treat, and I will continue to buy him live crickets now.

Basking temps are great. He stays nice and warm.

During the day his temps are at about 90. Basking is about 100

At night his temps stay around 75.

What actually is a fecal exam?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How are you taking your temps? Basking temps for babies should be about 105-110. A fecal exam is when you take poop to the vet and have it checked for worms and things like that.

Krypt0nite1989

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well I have two different meters in there, on each side of the tank.

on top of that he has only pooped, 3-4 times. But it does seem normal.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are they the stick on kind or are they probs? I ask b/c the stick on ones are known to be off by up to 20 degrees. I have seen this myself, I thought my temps were good when I had the stick on kind, when I got a probe they were too cold by 17*F

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
A temp gun is a great thing to measure temps with as well. I got mine at tempgun.com for about $30

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What kind of dead bugs were you feeding him? The kind from a can?

Krypt0nite1989

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The dead bugs I was giving him all came inside a bottle. That has his pellets and crickets in it.

I would pick them out for him cause he liked them until he stopped eating those, which is why I got him live crickets.

It's the third day, and he went to attack a cricket.. Missed and then didn't bother again afterwards.

I don't know to much about bearded dragons, but if they are starving wouldn't they eat?

It almost seems like.. He gets bored very easily with what he eats.

Krypt0nite1989

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Is it possible he doesn't like crickets to much?

What are some other bugs I could try feeding him?

Something a little.. Slower for him maybe?

Something that is just as good as crickets for him.

Waiting for a reply. Thanks everyone.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, the canned stuff doesn't offer much in nutritional value for dragons. My herp vet compared it to feeding your dragon jelly donuts.

Dragons do go through spells of gorging themselves and then going on a food strike for a short bit (couple day). They are desert animals and their instincts tell them that food will be in abundance at times and scarce other times.

Temps have a lot to do with the digestive process and your bearded dragon's appetite. If your temps are low, your dragon will not warm up enough to eat. Were you able to get a digital probe thermometer or temp gun?

It is also possible that your dragon doesn't like crickets. He won't be the first to not like crickets. You can try phoenix worms or dubia roaches. Less movement with those guys.

Variety is key with these guys. Their salad mix should change daily along with their bugs. It gives them a well balanced diet along with keeping them interested in food.

Krypt0nite1989

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok. Good to know.

I am going out tomorrow night to get either a temp gun or some better themometers to better regulate the temps.

I will try the phoenix worms. I've read that a lot of the bearded dragons like those. He went for a cricket last night and missed it, and almost seemed sad about it because he didn't go back to it.

Thank you so much for the help.

Krypt0nite1989

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I just wanted to let everyone know, that I did get my dragon a much better light and ever since then he hasn't had a problem eating at ALL!

He still doesn't seem to care for crickets cause he keeps missing them as he goes to bite and eat one, but I'm getting him to eat his pellets more and more, along with greens! Which he has not done since I got him.

I bought him wax worms and he loves those. I don't give him much cause they are fatty for him, but since he didn't eat he did get a little skinny. (Which is all under control he gained weight back)

Thank you everyone for your time and helping me out with my baby!

joe power

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well i have similar propbl;em with my baby beardy, had him for one week now. his basking temp is 100 tp 105, middle tank it 80 to 90 and cool side 78 to 82. he only eats two or three crix a day, but the crixs i have are about inch long 3/4 inch the smallest, so mabby thats all he well eat before geting full. my cricket supply does not sell small ones as such, but they are not widder than between his eyes so i think its good. mine poops two times a day, somtimes one and somtimes skipps a ay. i dont see much growth and no skin shed. i too wonder if he is doing great. i have a 33 gal that is preetty high, the uvb strip light is bout 1 foot away from him or more at all times, but i dont have a way to get it closer. im not much help to you for advice on your problem cause i am too looking for advise, just figured i let you know your not alone.

Latest posts