• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my cage!

should i use..

• sand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • tile

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dingo!

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was wondering if I should have sand in my cage because of impacting him...i have seen many cages with tile but i have also seen the calcium sand...I'm not to sure what i should do!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The only sand you can use if you use sand is sifted and cleaned playsand. Calcium sand is terrible. If it gets wet (which happens if ingested by a beardie) it turns into a substance that is hard like concrete. It will stop up their intestinal tract and cause impaction. You can use the sifted and cleaned playsand if you truly want to use sand. But i personally suggest tile.

Dingo!

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
so what about the sand you buy at the pet store cause thats what i have!!

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sand is one of the most argued topics withing this hobby. I dont use it at all because I feel its like letting your beardie live in a little box. No matter how fast you clean out the poop you can never get it all and that leads to smell and bacteria. I use non adheasive shelf liner and I have used tile as well. Some people do not use sand because it can lead to impactation.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have used sand in the past. Once, when we were new owners, we bought calci-sand. We sifted it twice and you would not believe the large pieces of glass we found.

As Tom pointed out, sand is one of the most controversial topics for substrate. It does have an odor after awhile. So, you are constantly vacuuming it out and replacing it. I replaced sand with tile. It was a much cleaner substrate.

Dingo!

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
What about like those clothes they have at the pet stores that come in all sorts of colors?? Im just trying to find something good to use!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cloths? Do you mean the reptile carpets? They are fine for a bit. You'll need to replace them frequently. After so many poops, they are nasty.

Dingo!

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yeah my dad has those for his leopard geckos but they have certian areas in there cage where they poop so he just lays down a tissue right there and after so many he takes it out and put a new one in!