• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My beardie's mysterious death

Mark J Galea

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone

I bought a 2 month old leatherback beardie directly from a very reputable breeder last month and I made sure to give him the best possible care: repti carpet for bedding, a good brand UV Lamp, basking spot, ceramic lamp for the night, and a balanced diet consisting of crickets, carrots, greens, and a limited supply of worms.

His live feed was covered in calcium powder. He was extremely healthy - in fact he was very active, ate regularly and defected every day. In fact, I used to joke about his "toilet time" as he seemed to have a routine around 09.30 in the morning. During his 1 month with us, he shed once but for some strange reason, his skin only came off his tail. His body colour was more pale than his tail but I think that it is due to his shedding. Yesterday we gave him a lukewarm bath but the whitish skin didn't come off.

For some strange reason, this morning we found him dead in the same spot he was sleeping last night (at the top of the rock) with blood coming out of his mouth.

Does anyone know what may have caused his death? Also, do I need to sanitise his terrarium? If so, with 90% alcohol (and water) or bleach and water?

My nine-year-old daughter was devastated and she couldn't stop crying today. I need to get another beardie but I'd like to get your advice before I buy another one.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Either a jaw line fracture or internal bleeding from eating something, would be my guess. Just be safe and clean everything with bleach.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Fracture can be caused by falls or biting something. Internal bleeding isnt caused by feeder insects, usually eating display items

Zilladragon23

Juvenile Dragon
[emoji17] I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. My girl Khaleesi is not feeling well right now, earlier I thought I might lose her and I was completely devastated and hysterical. I can't imagine. Poor baby[emoji25]

Latest posts