• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my beardie

tiff_quinn_x

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i had a little beardie for xmas and she is about 4 months old, over the past few days i have noticed her beard has turned black someone told me that it was because of citrus foods but i havent given my beardie anything that is citrus, she has also been shedding could this be the reason??? any advice would be ace thanks x

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It can mean a variety of things. She's uncomfortable, angry, cold, hurting... Most likely it's because she is with you now, so relocation stress is in evidence. Give her a few weeks to settle in.
You can also paper up 3 sides of the enclosure if it is an all glass one.
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As Janie points out, it could be a number of things. Most likely it is relo stress.

Couple of additional thoughts -
What is your UV light?
What are your temps?

tiff_quinn_x

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
my light is a repti sun 10.0 and basking temp is between 100-105 and the cooler side is between 85-90 then goes to bout 70-75 when i switch the light off. it is usually in the morning an then goes lighter throughout the day??? also when i get her out she keeps licking things does this mean she is goin to bite or is it just another sensory functions????

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Temps and lighting are fine, though you might wanna up those basking by a few degrees... The licking is normal, all dragons "taste" their surroundings.
The darker colors could mean she is still wanting higher temps to bask under, or that she is still experiencing "relocation stress".
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have to agree with Janie. Lights are fine. Temps are ok.

They do tend to slow down when they shed and their color appears gray/darker than normal. Try giving her baths. It helps with the shed. Continue to offer crickets daily, as well as, salad.

Latest posts