• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My beardie isn’t well. I’m very concerned

Willow Powell

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie has been in her hide and only comes out for food. She’s about 8 months old (don’t know for sure), so that’s too early to brumate, right? I’ve also read that it could be a growth spurt, but it’s been going on for about 2 1/2 months. I’m really concerned. I’ve let her hide, just to see if she would get better, but she hasn’t. I’ve very concerned and I’d like to know if this is normal at all? Her basking spot is at 107 and her cool side doesn’t have any heat bulbs, but it does have light. Her cool side has her water dish as well. She gets veggies every day along with however many crickets she’ll eat. She still poops, also. When I take her out to bond or have time together, she will either be super active or hide under a blanket and fall asleep. Please help!

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
She sounds alright to me. Maybe move her lights to be over her hide as it sounds like she likes that area. Some dragons are more timid than others, but it is odd that she NEVER wants to bask. Perhaps she just does it when you aren’t around? Can you post some pics of her?

Willow Powell

Bearded Dragon Egg
Her lights are over her hide☹️. After she eats, she basks, and her poops are healthy and very big. Her eyes are bright and she seems happy, she just sleeps all the time. She comes out briefly in the mornings, but then hides after about 20 minutes, and then she knows when I’m preparing her food and she comes out to eat. She was growing rapidly and then she kinda seemed to stop harshly or slow down her growth. She’s 14.5 inches. She loves to climb whenever she’s out. She either is super active when she’s out, or hides under blankets on the couch. Should she eventually snap out of this? Here are some pics

Attachments

• 5F1E7165-DA11-4101-9BCC-2CA4F87E19DA.jpeg
    5F1E7165-DA11-4101-9BCC-2CA4F87E19DA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 84
  • F6EF4469-1770-4D17-945E-F00285F50AA0.jpeg
    F6EF4469-1770-4D17-945E-F00285F50AA0.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 90
  • FD83C323-C58E-4FB1-809E-733DB5F3C6EF.jpeg
    FD83C323-C58E-4FB1-809E-733DB5F3C6EF.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 91
  • D7633C47-239C-446B-9A57-696CCDD42929.jpeg
    D7633C47-239C-446B-9A57-696CCDD42929.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 89
  • 41FD762C-1741-4507-AB2B-3427009FE1B9.jpeg
    41FD762C-1741-4507-AB2B-3427009FE1B9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
  • BF4781EB-C184-4B1A-A992-53EA430DB9AB.jpeg
    BF4781EB-C184-4B1A-A992-53EA430DB9AB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
  • B2901E64-F302-4D95-A31B-5EFCFF05A9F2.jpeg
    B2901E64-F302-4D95-A31B-5EFCFF05A9F2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
  • 13AFF5E4-19A4-4A13-9E71-733FDE453A71.jpeg
    13AFF5E4-19A4-4A13-9E71-733FDE453A71.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 88

Willow Powell

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here’s a new picture of her today. I have her out and she is very energetic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 83

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
you have a beautiful dragon. she is to young to fully brumate but, younger dragons slow down and eat less during the fall and winter months so that could be it. have you had her pooh checked for parasites yet?if not it needs to be done at least twice a year. usually before brumation in the fall and after brumation into late spring early summer.
my Stryker is 5yrs but only 15 inches she has always been small but very curvy as she loves to eat, but she does go thru her moods of not eating anything including bugs. but then she starts eating again. she is wonderfully healthy despite her moods.

Right now she is no longer brumating and is
very active but not eating everyday just yet.
I changed her lights this month from the coil
bulb we had for winter , she is now using a 160 watt mvb bulb and it really has her more active and basking again. I plan to add a tube uvb bulb next month as well so she has uvb on her cool side too.

of course my advice is if your worried take her in for a wellness check with a reptile vet and take a pooh sample (fresh is best) to check for parasites they can affect their appetite as well.
please keep us posted as to how your doing.

Jacob melanistic

Juvenile Dragon
some dragons just love sleep, like teenagers. trust me, i would know! i am 13 and spend at least 6 of my waking hours wishing i were asleep! LOL.

your beardie is fine, she just is maybe slowing for winter. if she climbes and has big ol' healthy poo, you couldnt ask for much more! you are doing great and i love that you are concerned for her!

Galapoodle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there, your beardie is sweet looking.
I agree with the too young to brumate comment.
The big question that pops into my head is what kind of lights are you using? I'm no expert but through trial and error and 4 years of experience and reading I eventually got a good setup going. Started with awful coils bulbs, then the mercury vapour all in one, then found the best option. You want to have a T5 HO uvb tube, (12% is mounted above the screen). A heat lamp in addition for basking of course too. I recommend Arcadia brand, word is they last 12 months instead of 6 like the reptisun equivalent. Also please avoid any night lamp especially any red bulbs (can blind them apparently). A ceramic heat emitter if the temps are too low overnight (below 65F) works great to keep the enclosure warm. Make sure you're measuring your temps with a temp gun too not relying on the round sticky one they sell in stores. Digital is good too for ambient temps in viv.

I also wondered what size tank she is in. 40 gallon or bigger for a beardie her age.

Have you been to an exotic vet since you got her? If not, go book it, get the fecal (as recommended above) and depending on what the vet says they may want to do a blood test. If you catch an illness or parasites early it can save you a world of heartbreak and money down the road.

The fact that she is active when out is good, but I understand the worry you feel, and a vet checkup can really alleviate that. I make a list of questions for every time I visit the vet. Also ask around for the best exotics vet in your area, google, ask the pet store who they use etc. Finding a good one who knows their stuff can be tricky sometimes.

Good luck and keep us updated if you get a prognosis, or need any more help. Sorry if any of my info above is redundant. When my girl was sick she behaved similarly but had no stunted growth issue becoming the honking princess she is today. I hope I was of some help.

Latest posts