1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragon Diet' started by MrSandman, Feb 8, 2020.

1. MrSandman

MrSandman Bearded Dragon Egg

Hi guys I’m a new beardie owner we got a 2yr old female about two weeks ago and she won’t eat any of the veggies we give her (bell pepper, butternut squash, kale, spring greens or collards, leaks, cucumber (without skin), celery and some others)only the insects, she has quite a lot of room to move about and I changed her lightbulb a week ago as she had one of those red coloured ones to a more natural but same wattage one I give her as much water as she’ll drink twice a day (very least) and she was glass surfing earlier on this week but stopped as soon as we let her out I’ll send some pictures of the viv when I can but any sort of help will be very much appreciated as I’m starting to get a little bit worried as I would have thought the relocation stress would have gone by now Thanks Morgan p.s. we have tried cutting everything big small and everything in between eg grating
  2. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Bearded Dragon Veteran 1,000+ Post Club

She's going thru relocation stress so eating will be slow if she has completely quit eating there is an issue w/ the lighting-- the will not eat w/out proper temps of 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and the correct UVB - NO COILS-- please post pics if the tank and lighting
  3. MrSandman

Hi thanks for replying, here are the pictures haven’t gotten round to getting the probe yet but on the analog one it stays from 32-35

Attached Files:

4. MrSandman

5. kaylynangel

oK the first thing you need to do is get a fixture on that UVB --- I dont know what it is but I would replace the whole thing sorry ----------- how big is your tank? It looks like it doesnt have a lot of height to it--- the basking temps and UVB are the most important thing in that tank - and you need to have a good UVB which is the Reptisun 10.0 bulb--- it needs a fixture w/ a reflector the bulb you have now has no reflector so those rays are going everywhere but to her -- plus they HAFT to be certain distances so w/ your tank being so low I would get a T 8 they require shorter distances - does the top have a screen on it or is it wooden? T 8's need to go inside the tank w / a distance of 8-10 inches ---- next I would ditch the sand -- it can cause impaction and you dont want that --NO loose substrate --- you can replace w/ paper towels for now and then invest in some slated ceramic tile or NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store --- basking temps need to be 95-110 and the bulb you have looks good - but you need that probe to get a accurate basking temp of where shes sitting ---- the analog is ok for ambient temps - that cool side of tank should in the 80's during the day --- what is she eating ? and where are you feeding her ? in the tank or outside the tank ?
  6. MrSandman

Apologies for the late reply been at my mums as we had a power outage I have been planning on changing the bulb fixture in there but once she gets more comfortable as that’s what she’s had for 2 years I believe and don’t want to disrupt her especially if we’ve only had her a couple of weeks same with the sand, there is a good amount of height in the cool side but on the hot side there’s a raised wooden bit for her basking area (again something I’m not a fan of) this was all the previous owner, at the moment we’re feeding insect wise what we call hoppers in the uk which aren’t fully developed locusts, meal worms and dubia roaches are the main ones then treats are super worms and wax worms, we feed her inside her tank.she is also in her hot hide a lot at the moment and I don’t know if I should be worried
  7. kaylynangel

If that bulb is 2 years old its shot-- believe me the new bulb is going to make a difference in her behavior and in a good way plus she needs the UVB right now shes not getting any --- please get it changed out and a fixture w/ a reflector --- the the health of that dragon depends on the UVB as well as the basking temps-- depending on the T 5 or T 8 which ever one you get they expire - the T 8's in 6 months and the T 5 1 year - and those are the Reptisun bulbs - if you get Arcadia bulbs they too are the same distance wise and longevity wise as well and are really good bulbs -------------- has she been w/ out heat ---??? feeding on the sand is not a good idea - they can get enough of it to cause impaction
  8. MrSandman

Oh ok so I will definitely change that out as soon as possible, what do you mean by reflector? Luckily no as we live close to my mum so we were able to take the entire tank up there, and I’ll try and feed her outside the tank from now on thanks again for the replying it’s overwhelming when you haven’t had a bear die before
  9. kaylynangel

You need a fixture w/ a reflector - its behind the bulb and looks like aluminum -- w/ out the reflector UVB rays are going everywhere to her the reflector reflects the rays downward toward her -- she needs that UVB to help her absorb calcium for her bones and digestion and to prevent MBD-
  10. MrSandman

Ah ok thank you anything else I could do by chance?
  11. kaylynangel

If you are in a warm area take her outside for 15 minutes---- direct sun - do not use glass container you can use plastic- that 15 minutes will equal out to 4 hrs of UVB