• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My beardie is losing her appetite? Shedding? Lighting?

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My beardie right now just started trying to eat the glass; does this mean something??
She freaked out and started trying to eat it o.o

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
DSCN3088.jpg

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Alright! So my beardie is probably about 7 months old or so :/
She is about 13-16inches long
But she's very thin. I always see bearded dragons that are HUUGE but she's a smaller one out of them all :p
She used to eat every cricket she could get but now she eats 2 or 3 and leaves the rest to hang around for later.
She hardly even touches her vegetables either.
She hasn't shed in a pretty long time too; maybe..October?
Her basking side is about 100˚F and her cool side is at about 80˚F.
Her tank is a 55 gallon tank and she hardly runs around and just sits in the same spot she sleeps in all day. Is she just lazy? She used to also sleep in her hide which soon after she stopped using​
Can you re-measure from nose tip to tail tip (As in the TOTAL length of the beardie. I looked at your pic, she is thin but NOT sickly skinny
Basking side for a juvie should be 105-110F try to raise the platform or get a higher watt bulb to make it hotter.
What do you measure your temps with?

Her substrate is Zilla's Calcium Sand..
Please remove this calci sand, it is the worst sand for dragons ever, t clumps up and becomes like sement. Try safer better substrates like: paper towel, newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner, textured ceramic tile or even repti carpet.
This quote is taken from a member about calci sand, Ill also supply a link t ALL substrates with their pros and cons so you can decide for yourself
"
Sand (Pet Store Sands/Calci-sands)
I used pet store sands before I tried the washed playsands and my opinion and observations on the pet store sands are basically exactly the same. While the pet store sands are much more aesthetically pleasing, they are also much more dangerous and annoying. Despite what the packaging says, they cannot be digested and they clump more than the washed playsand does. I tested this out by dropping a bit in a jar lid with some water and it clumped up like wet cat litter. To add to the potential danger it posed to my dragon's digestive tract, it also dyed his entire underside the color of the sand and took MONTHS to come out. I had to gently brush his underside with a soft toothbrush every time I bathed him until it finally came out. One other thing I forgot to mention with the washed playsand that also goes for the pet store sands are that it has very little traction for the dragon to get a good footing on. Pet store sands are much more coarse compared to washed playsand which I would imagine would be uncomfortable for the dragon. More costly to maintain than washed playsand.
My rating: 1​

http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/my-experiences-with-different-substrates.90

11" away from the head; and I have a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0
The bulb needs t be between 6-8 inches from the dragon, otherwise they will NOT get sufficient UVB exposure. Try to lower the bulb

Well I have a night bulb I keep on all night; its Red. and Im sorry I didn't understand this message​
Dragons CAN see light and even red disrupts their sleep patterns. You DO NOT need additional heat at night as they have to have a cool down time also. IF your temps drop below 60-65F at night a CHE (Ceramic heat emitter) is the best to provide this heat, it emits the heat but NO light whatso ever.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
From what Ive heard that distance is only for MVB bulbs, reptisuns still same 6-8 inches. This was tested with UV meters
Manufacturers also say they last for 1 year.................

WatfordOleary17

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh right, even the website states 12". I'm thinking of moving over to the powersun range, one bulb does all and is garanteed for a yr.

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a question?
What about Carefresh? it says on the package that they support reptiles also, People mainly use it for rodents but it does say reptiles on the back. Would that be a good substrate?

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i would not recommend carefresh. beardies taste everything and carefresh is in smaller pieces so it would be easy for them to get it in their mouth. my opinion is no. i use paper towels, not as pretty as sand or bark but a hell of alot safer. tiles make for a nice easy to clean floor also. beardies are like some people, they'll try anything once and if they can get it in their mouth they will.

Reactions: P

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Alright well next time I'll use paper towels and newspaper thank you!

Latest posts