• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Bearded Dragon is scared of me

8kdr22

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi I am new to the forum but I have had my dragon Phil for almost 7 months now. When he was young he would always seem to be skiddish when I picked him up but I figured that was because he was young. But now he is almost full size and almost every time I go to pick him up he backs away from me. I always put my hand in slowly and let him lick my hand so he's not scared but every time he backs away. Why is this??

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi. Sorry to hear about your baby. Who knows why? Some suggestions : do you use scented hand soap or antibacterial hand wash? It may have an unpleasant odor to him - rinse your hands well with warm water to get any smell off. THis will probably be a slow process, but it works pretty good. when you put your hand in and he licks it, stroke the underside of his beard - from mouth to chest. just stroke it gently - this is to get him used to your feel. do this with 1 or 2 fingers several times a day for several days. then - with your palm facing up - stroke his beard but slide your 2 fingers farther down onto his chest. several times / day x several days. then do the same, but gently lift him up - so his feet are just touching the floor. for just a moment or 2. several times / day x several days. then slide your whole palm under his chest and lift him up - hold him there for a bit longer. several times / day x several days. then - using your palm under his chest, lift him up so he is off the floor. hold him there for a bit. several times/ day x several days. then lift him up and take him out of the tank for just a moment and put him right back in. several x / day x several days. then take him out for a bit longer. getting the idea? I also like to recommend that you wear a scarf around your neck or a t-shirt - no smelly deodorant or perfume - to get your body odor. place the garment in his tank - where he sleeps or basks - so he gets used to your smell. hang in there - you'll get it!!

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Oh no! Sounds like he is just timid maybe. Here is a good article about taming bearded dragons:

http://www.beardeddragoncare101.com/tame-bearded-dragon/

The only other suggestion I would make that's not in the previous post is trying different methods of picking him up. It sounds like you are coming at him from the front, which is recommended. But I know mine gets nervous if I lift him with the front legs, sliding my hand under the belly. I have to approach him from the side and kindof scoop him up, belly and legs at the same time. I make sure he sees my hand in there first so it doesn't startle him. I don't know why it makes him so nervous, he is a total sweetheart cuddlebug, I guess the size of my hand near his face is intimidating. good luck!!!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Boys can be a bit more on the standoffish side..So it may just take more time. Trial different ways of picking him up. I have to make eye contact with my fella before I pick him up or he scoots back some.. Just remember their 3rd eye makes them very wary of things coming at them... Good luck

Latest posts