• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Bearded Dragon is keeping only one eye closed

Lexie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all! I've read forums on here about this topic already but I'd like a little more help.
My precious boy Odysseus has been doing amazingly, I've had him since January and absolutely no problems. I just switched to the Solar Glo mercury vapor 125w bulb on Monday and since then I've noticed him only closing his right eye. I stopped using the bulb but I don't want to completely get rid of it(return it) until I'm sure it's the problem or not.
He still opens the eye here and now but a majority of the time he's keeping it closed. He's not acting like it's bothering him or upset about it and he's still eating and hunting crickets just fine. I'll attach pictures of his open left eye and his closed right eye.
20190328_180134.jpg
20190328_180226.jpg

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi - I know you posted a long time ago but was wondering if you ever found out what it was? Or if the behavior stopped? Our BD is doing the exact same thing and has been for at least a couple of months. There’s never been any discharge or swelling or anything concerning, and she does seem to be alert and eating well.

Lexie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi - I know you posted a long time ago but was wondering if you ever found out what it was? Or if the behavior stopped? Our BD is doing the exact same thing and has been for at least a couple of months. There’s never been any discharge or swelling or anything concerning, and she does seem to be alert and eating well.
Oh wow, I had completely forgotten I posted this. The bulb turned out to be the issue, as I expected. As soon as I returned and switched back, he stopped this behavior.. If you have changed bulbs in the past few months, I would suspect that is the issue, it may be too bright or too close to the little lady. If you havent switched it could be:

dehydration(check by pinching her skin. If it quickly goes back in place then she is fine there),

a response to something that has caught their interest(closing the one eye helps the other one focus),

possible shed stuck or difficulty shedding(if so you can soak a cotton pad in warm water and gently hold it on the eye for a few minutes then gently rub at the stuck shed.

There could also be damage to the eye, if you use sand or loose substrate it is possible a grain of it has gotten in the eye. This can lead to infection, you can order reptile eye drops or use a saline rinse to wash the eye out. Rubbing their head on things in their cage can also possibly cause damage if there is anything in there that can poke the eye. Improper lighting can also cause damage, if a light is too bright it can damage the cornea and in turn they will keep that eye closed.

I do hope this helps you out!

Edit to add:
Odysseus is most certainly better now

Attachments

• 20200211_223944.jpg
    20200211_223944.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 9

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh thanks so much!! We don’t have loose substrate so something in the eye isn’t likely the issue. She started closing that eye before replacing the bulb...and we replaced the bulb this weekend with the same type and manufacturer (we’d had the other one in for months) - although I know things can happen in production that might affect UVB output. But maybe we did shift her hammock to be closer to the old bulb, which could have affected things? Ugh. If the cornea has been damaged would she keep it closed from here on out maybe? I’m wondering if being too close to the light might have done something and now she can’t see out of it!! Oh if that’s if I feel so guilty!! We’ve dealt with dehydration before so I’ll try that route as well to see if that helps. Will try to attach a Picture here of the area surrounding the eye - maybe it’s stuck shed, but we’ve tried bathing/soaking/gentle scrubs and nothing seems to come loose(??)

Attachments

• 8246E2A0-5C18-455B-BAA0-AFEED7AC4F63.jpeg
    8246E2A0-5C18-455B-BAA0-AFEED7AC4F63.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
It was the bulb! I had that one , the exact same thing happened! I got a proper UVB and my baby is doing fine now

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It was the bulb! I had that one , the exact same thing happened! I got a proper UVB and my baby is doing fine now
When you say you had that one do you mean an MVB bulb? We’ve used them for a while - I feel so bad! Or maybe it’s the manufacturer? Either way I changed it out this morning to a regular 100-watt so am anxious to see how she’s doing when we get home!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
When you say you had that one do you mean an MVB bulb? We’ve used them for a while - I feel so bad! Or maybe it’s the manufacturer? Either way I changed it out this morning to a regular 100-watt so am anxious to see how she’s doing when we get home!
Theres lots of mixed reactions to mvb’s, i used one for the first year of my beardies life (along with a tube uvb) and i just changed it out and im seeing a change in my beardies behavior , for the good.

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah i had the Solar Glo mercury vapor 125W. Bulb! Im glad you got it changed :p

Beth8216

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh thanks so much!! We don’t have loose substrate so something in the eye isn’t likely the issue. She started closing that eye before replacing the bulb...and we replaced the bulb this weekend with the same type and manufacturer (we’d had the other one in for months) - although I know things can happen in production that might affect UVB output. But maybe we did shift her hammock to be closer to the old bulb, which could have affected things? Ugh. If the cornea has been damaged would she keep it closed from here on out maybe? I’m wondering if being too close to the light might have done something and now she can’t see out of it!! Oh if that’s if I feel so guilty!! We’ve dealt with dehydration before so I’ll try that route as well to see if that helps. Will try to attach a Picture here of the area surrounding the eye - maybe it’s stuck shed, but we’ve tried bathing/soaking/gentle scrubs and nothing seems to come loose(??)
My beardie is having eye trouble as well, it is looking like a vitamin A deficiency (he refuses to eat anything good for him, stubborn little dude) but after some research, I found flukers eye wash and it seems to be working after a few days! I also read that water and honey at a 4-1 ratio (4 parts water) but please read up I am by no means a vet or an expert but I figure it can give you something to look into. Ive also starting giving him a carrot, corn and pumpkin baby food, which he loves, to up the vitamin A!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi all! I've read forums on here about this topic already but I'd like a little more help.
My precious boy Odysseus has been doing amazingly, I've had him since January and absolutely no problems. I just switched to the Solar Glo mercury vapor 125w bulb on Monday and since then I've noticed him only closing his right eye. I stopped using the bulb but I don't want to completely get rid of it(return it) until I'm sure it's the problem or not.
He still opens the eye here and now but a majority of the time he's keeping it closed. He's not acting like it's bothering him or upset about it and he's still eating and hunting crickets just fine. I'll attach pictures of his open left eye and his closed right eye.View attachment 20018 View attachment 20019
Hi the mercury vapor bulb is Deadly & if used needs to be 16incjes away gets excruciating Hot & should not be used. Also never ever used coiled or colored bulbs & never ever leave lights on at nite during bedtime. U need a heat lamp & the correct UVB light only. For heat buy the zoomed CLEAR basking bulb & for UVB; the Reptisun 10.0 T5. This uvb needs replacing every 6Mnths & the length of Uvb that I order shoidl cover 70 percent of the tank starting at the hot side. Leave both lights on in the winter for 10-12 hours; more liek 10 & in the summer both on for 12-14 hours; more like 14. Never ever have lights on at nite they like quiet & pure dark & remove all food and water bowls before putting him to sleep. Also he needs a hideaway to get away from uvb as needed I use a hammock & place a soft cloth over it and under it I olace a soft fleece blanket which they love. Please take him to a reptile vet for antibiotics for his eye. Here’s a a few pics of my Beardie & of the proper Uvb to get just make sure u order the right length & that it’s 10.0 cuz the 5.0 emits zero to no uvb; and the heat one u order is the zoomed always a clear bulb;) GLuck

Attachments

• 6D082C5F-42B0-4E61-9EB0-A3641802C91F.png
    6D082C5F-42B0-4E61-9EB0-A3641802C91F.png
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • F245F873-3CDC-4E4B-950F-D76C00424A59.jpeg
    F245F873-3CDC-4E4B-950F-D76C00424A59.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My beardie is having eye trouble as well, it is looking like a vitamin A deficiency (he refuses to eat anything good for him, stubborn little dude) but after some research, I found flukers eye wash and it seems to be working after a few days! I also read that water and honey at a 4-1 ratio (4 parts water) but please read up I am by no means a vet or an expert but I figure it can give you something to look into. Ive also starting giving him a carrot, corn and pumpkin baby food, which he loves, to up the vitamin A!
The cause is typically a colored or coiled bulb or being to close to the UVb or having lights on at nite or not having a hideaway to get away from the uvb. Rule of thumb never ever use colored or colored bulbs &’pure dark and quiet at nite. For heat use ty e zoomed clear basking bulb and for uvb the Reptisun 10.0’T5 the length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank & Beardie shoidl be 10inches minimum away from this uvb so basking spot or hammock should be 10inches away at least or more & he needs a hideaway. Here’s a pic of proper uvb to order and some era due set up pics; my hideaway is under his hammock and under his basking spot I have a 120 gallon tank. Also Beardies like to be propped up so u can get those teeny bone or donut pillows too u gotta be creative & keep them comfy; they Aliso watch tv all day; soft shows non violent ones liek friends, etc.

Attachments

• B142655B-6023-4CAA-99FF-11DA6A51B7CE.jpeg
    B142655B-6023-4CAA-99FF-11DA6A51B7CE.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • 0C7A975D-1B88-4FE8-A941-2B659F78F72E.png
    0C7A975D-1B88-4FE8-A941-2B659F78F72E.png
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • E12B160F-48CF-4858-9D1F-63DB7D045BA2.jpeg
    E12B160F-48CF-4858-9D1F-63DB7D045BA2.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • DAB05F7E-28DD-4F5E-9507-C46B67C2B98D.jpeg
    DAB05F7E-28DD-4F5E-9507-C46B67C2B98D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Theres lots of mixed reactions to mvb’s, i used one for the first year of my beardies life (along with a tube uvb) and i just changed it out and im seeing a change in my beardies behavior , for the good.
Good to hear; those Mercury ones are way way way to strong & Hotter than Hot & need to be 16incjes away or more which is impossible unless your Beardie basks on the floor which is not recommended. U should only use only a clear zoomed basking bulb for heat & the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for uvb just make sure the uvb is replaced every 6Mnths. The length of uvb u order should cover 70perecnt of the tank here’s my pic & u have to have a hideaway mone is under his hammock & under his basking spot but u only need one shady area & they love hammocks I place it behind his basking so if he wants 85-90 to lounge he has it everyone Galileo have a hammock. And mine watch tv & look out the window at the greenery making sure of course ty blinds are tilted on a sunny day so Beardie doesn’t get overheated.

Attachments

• 179619E2-A6A4-402E-AF1B-553C6652AD7F.jpeg
    179619E2-A6A4-402E-AF1B-553C6652AD7F.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • A3F0FBE4-3EEC-49FD-86DF-A71316126F28.jpeg
    A3F0FBE4-3EEC-49FD-86DF-A71316126F28.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Good to hear; those Mercury ones are way way way to strong & Hotter than Hot & need to be 16incjes away or more which is impossible unless your Beardie basks on the floor which is not recommended. U should only use only a clear zoomed basking bulb for heat & the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for uvb just make sure the uvb is replaced every 6Mnths. The length of uvb u order should cover 70perecnt of the tank here’s my pic & u have to have a hideaway mone is under his hammock & under his basking spot but u only need one shady area & they love hammocks I place it behind his basking so if he wants 85-90 to lounge he has it everyone Galileo have a hammock. And mine watch tv & look out the window at the greenery making sure of course ty blinds are tilted on a sunny day so Beardie doesn’t get overheated.
Oh yeah they can be really bad, i had a good one (I believe) (for growing canabis) it was like 60$ and it offered full spectrum and it was just hot enough(I monitor my temps daily) , i only had it cause I wasn’t fully aware :/ . Lol no offense but ur beardies tank looks like a insane asylum, i like it i wish i had enough towels to do that

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
Oh yeah they can be really bad, i had a good one (I believe) (for growing canabis) it was like 60$ and it offered full spectrum and it was just hot enough(I monitor my temps daily) , i only had it cause I wasn’t fully aware :/ . Lol no offense but ur beardies tank looks like a insane asylum, i like it i wish i had enough towels to do that
Why were you growing cannabis? lol i mean is there something im missing isnt that a drug? Or am i just stupid

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Why were you growing cannabis? lol i mean is there something im missing isnt that a drug? Or am i just stupid
I wasn’t growing canabis, i was growing a lizard lol, , I rationalized since she was tiny when i got her to just to have the one uvb (i got the dreaded bearded dragon kit with duel hood) i had a coil uvb in for 2 weeks when i first got her(I didn’t know they were bad) :( (she was a petco rescue ,glass surfing very skinny , but i wanted her so) then noticed her closing one eye , I quickly did research found this forum and got her the better mvb, that was a year ago, ive got proper bar uvb lighting and heat bulbs i didnt mean in my post above like i just change the lighting the other day or something...

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
I wasn’t growing canabis, i was growing a lizard lol, , I rationalized since she was tiny when i got her to just to have the one uvb (i got the dreaded bearded dragon kit with duel hood) i had a coil uvb in for 2 weeks when i first got her(I didn’t know they were bad) :( (she was a petco rescue ,glass surfing very skinny , but i wanted her so) then noticed her closing one eye , I quickly did research found this forum and got her the better mvb, that was a year ago, ive got proper bar uvb lighting and heat bulbs i didnt mean in my post above like i just change the lighting the other day or something...
Ohh ok sorry bout that, also poor baby im glad you helped her :)

Kellyf1958

Bearded Dragon Egg
He still opens the eye here and now but a majority of the time he's keeping it closed. He's not acting like it's bothering him or upset about it and he's still eating and hunting crickets just fine. I'll attach pictures of his open left eye and his closed right eye.View attachment 20018 View attachment 20019

Latest posts