• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My baby wont eat

Robert Christman

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just bought my 2 baby dragons 5 days ago pyro because he was like a firework going off running everywhere and other phoenix because of its bright orange, I notice pyro is not eating drinking or runing round anymore Not really doing anything, Like he was when i bought him, all he does is sleep Now phoenix is another story very active eats like crazy... My tank setup is a 20 gal with that fake grass mat, water boll with water, Cave with heatrock in it, and a fake hollow tree we also have a basking light, and a regular light...... SO my question is why is pyro not active or eating also he only pooped 4 times sine i had him and it smells really bad, phoenix poop does not smell and she poops 2 times a day.

ALSO IF IM MISSING ANYTHING FOR IN MY TANK PLZ LET ME KNOW...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
GET RID OF THE HEAT ROCK! Beardies don't really feel when things are too hot on their skin and sitting on a heat rock can burn them. Couple things that could be going on. Phoenix could be bullying him and not letting him eat. Real foul smelling poop is a sign of parasites, you should have the poop checked by a vet. Sometimes they go through "moving sickness" even after being okay for a few days or weeks. They need a bit of time to get used to their new home.

What are you using for a basking light and UVB and what are your temps on the cool side and basking spot and what are you using to measure temps?

Robert Christman

Bearded Dragon Egg
GET RID OF THE HEAT ROCK! Beardies don't really feel when things are too hot on their skin and sitting on a heat rock can burn them. Couple things that could be going on. Phoenix could be bullying him and not letting him eat. Real foul smelling poop is a sign of parasites, you should have the poop checked by a vet. Sometimes they go through "moving sickness" even after being okay for a few days or weeks. They need a bit of time to get used to their new home.

What are you using for a basking light and UVB and what are your temps on the cool side and basking spot and what are you using to measure temps?
I'm using a 10.0 Compact Fluorescent Lamp and a and a 150watt basking lamp everything i got is buy zoomed since my pet store only carrys zoo med Also im using a national geographic infrared thermometer, As for the temp one side is 90 and the other side were the water is anywere 75-80
Also the heat rock is a steady 100 but not hot to hand and my 4 year old daughter can hold the rock, I notice at night they go into the cave and sleep on the rock....

Robert Christman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Update i bought 2 thermometers one on basking side and one on cool side level,There both level were they lay the most cool side is a steady 75 basking side is 88... I did notice pyro was doing alot better But also notice that Phoenix was laying on pyro when ever he lays under the heat lamp and wont let him eat. I'm gonna feed pyro by himself

Robert Christman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Update i bought 2 thermometers one on basking side and one on cool side level,There both level were they lay the most cool side is a steady 75 basking side is 88... I did notice pyro was doing alot better But also notice that Phoenix was laying on pyro when ever he lays under the heat lamp and wont let him eat. I'm gonna feed pyro by himself
I was wrong on the basking side temp its sitting at 98...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You want the UVB to be able to cover about 2/3 of the tank so your beardie has more UVB coverage. With a compact bulb it's only concentrated to one small area of the tank. Also, compact bulbs can cause eye problems. You want your basking spot to be 105-110 more on the high side for babies.

Here is a quick link on heat rocks and then i'm going to drop it. http://www.reptilecare.com/NoHotRocks.htm

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I bought a heated rock too when I first got my bearded dragon, we had it in the tank for a minute before I read about how bad they are.

I will admit too that I have a heated throw blanket that my dragons like to lay on when they are out of their tank. I keep it on a low setting and I am constantly feeling their belly's and feet to make sure they aren't too hot.

Latest posts