• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My baby came! Help!

Silkmoth

Hatchling Dragon
My baby just arrived and its freezing cold! I put it in the hot spot right away. Should I put it in warm water or wait and see what it does for awhile? Thank you.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If you have your temps right in the enclosure just put him on the basking spot and give him some time to warm up.

And Congrats on the arrival of your new lil dragon!:)
Enjoy

Silkmoth

Hatchling Dragon
I put him on his basking spot so I think he will warm up for awhile. He seems more alert. But get this: there was no heat pack in the box!! I can't believe he is alive! Unbelieveable.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yes he is a lucky dragon and I believe that were it me I would be sure to let the breeder you got him from know just how displeased I was at the fact that they didn't pack him appropriately for shipping.
I'm glad to hear that he perked up...Now the two of you can begin your adventure together!!:)
Enjoy!!

Silkmoth

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you Mungi's Buddha. He is happy now. Its after midnight. I got up and checked on him. Before I turned out his light for the night I took a handwarmer and opened it and let it warm upbefore wrapping it in a paper towel. He is laying on it. He made a poop too. He ate some of the salad I left him so I know he will be fine.
He is big enough to enjoy the flies so I hope I can interest him in some. Roaches come tomorrow. Is beepollen ok for him? I usually gutload the flies with that and honey before the mantids get them.
Thanks everyone. Robin.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
As far as I know gutloading the flies with bee pollen should be fine. I don't feed flies so not sure what is used to gutload them. Bee pollen is supposed to help increase cut flora in a dragon and believed to stimulate appetite because of that. I feed Mungi Rep-Cal Bearded Dragon Pellets which he loves along with his veggies and the pellets contain Bee Pollen:)
Be care using the hand warmer for your bearded dragon to lay on. Bearded dragon's don't have heat sensors on their bellies so really can't feel it or know if it is too hot to lay on. That is the reason that using heat mats or rocks is a no-no in their enclosures.
Also remember that your new dragon has had a very traumatic ride to get to you and is in a new world where he doesn't know yet that he is safe. He has to be given a proper acclimation time which can take 10+ days to get settled in and comfortable with his new world so please keep handling and traffic around his enclosure as much as possible to only that which is absolutely necessary for cleaning or feeding.:)
Have a great day!
Enjoy!!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Congratulations on your new arrival! I look forward to seeing pictures. I would be very upset that the poor thing wasn't shipped with the appropriate hand warmer though :(.

Silkmoth

Hatchling Dragon
I found out from the people he came from that they are in southern Florida. If they put a heat pack in the baby would be cooked before it got here. I will buy from someone here in the forum!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Congrats on the new addition! Be sure to keep us updated on how he's doing! ;) :)