• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Baby Beardie Died - Please Help

Todd Simpson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, so I have been reading on this forum for awhile but sadly this is my first post. And it is a long one but please bear with me!

I bought the bd along with a zilla 20 bd kit at a local pet shop. I put down reptile carpet, covered the back and sides, setup tank as it said without using the same it came with
I read that it was not too good for them. Anyway, that was about 6 weeks ago. During that time he never really ate alot of anything. Started with crickets and he might eat 10 a day but mostly less thank that. So, I ordered dubia roaches as it seemed they would be better for him. He would eat 3-5 in the morning and I would be lucky to get him to eat at night. He would eat a tiny bit of greens as well but not much. Used calcium 5 days a week and vitamin 2 times a week. Fresh water, bath at least 2 times a week and he had no problem ever drinking water at all. He just never seemed real active and always sluggish so I read alot on this forum and found out that the coil uvb bulb that came with the kit was not the greatest. So about 2 weeks ago, I put in a t-5 15 watt desert50 for the uvb. Hoping this would help things. He just was so lethargic most of the time and maybe only a day or 2 a week he would be somewhat active. The last 2 days he just would sit there and was very limp. I gave him a quick bath this morning and he went to the bathroom fine but other than that he just sat there. Put him back in tank and checked on him later and he was laying on his side with his mouth open. I picked him up and he just laid there. I tried to give him some heat under his lamp but you could tell it was time. I'm so lost for words and feel horrible about this as he was my little buddy. I've been kicking my self trying to figure out what I might have done wrong and hopefully you all can help me out with some ideas. I just feel terrible! I posted some pictures of the bulbs and tank. Please any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Todd

Attachments

• 20191023_224728.jpg
    20191023_224728.jpg
    942.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 15718853623442108147323097267988.jpg
    15718853623442108147323097267988.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 78
  • 1571885454199246221256072026022.jpg
    1571885454199246221256072026022.jpg
    817.1 KB · Views: 75

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
So sorry for your loss! Do you know what the temps in the tank were? That's the other thing you want to track along with the correct lighting. But sometimes animals from corporate pet stores have health problems from birth, and just don't thrive. It's heartbreaking when you lose them like that.

Todd Simpson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for your reply. The cool side was around 80 and the warm side stayed at around 100. At night it would get down to 70 at the lowest!

Thanks

Todd Simpson

Bearded Dragon Egg
yes I am sorry to hear about your baby--- it is hard to say but for future reference was the T 8 inside the tank ? there are so many variables as to why he died---- if you decide to get another one please ask questions about taking care of them so this doesnt happen again --- for good info on dragons please visit this website it has A LOT of info on dragons ---- you will haft to type the address into the browser as for some reason the link I post is not working -----------------www.beardeddragon.org--- you may haft to scroll to find the website

The t-8 was on the screen which I have read both ways- some say that he wouldn't get enough uvb, while others say it is fine. Just so much conflicting information, it really gets frustrating. Yes, I would like to get another one, once I feel confident I have everything right!

Thanks

Todd Simpson

Bearded Dragon Egg
The T 8 needs to be inside the tank ---- approx 6-8 inches from basking area w/ cover off the bulb and i think it is off if I saw correctly----------- make sure you sanitize that tank before getting another one -- you dont know exactly what he died from and if he had any diseases its going to be in that tank --- you can get some F10 its a veterinary disinfectant that kills pretty much every thing -- https://www.ebay.com/i/123947919888...MIw7-zgL-15QIVj4bACh189A0GEAYYCCABEgJCqPD_BwE------------this stuff last a long time ---
please look over the website I gave you www.beardeddragon.org ----- so much info there that can help you -- and yes I know its heart breaking to have them pass -- it just may have been he was sick ---- they are masters of disguise when it comes to that --- if you have more questions please ask

Thank you so much for your help and will definitely get the disinfectant. I will also figure out a way to mount the light as well. Thanks so much!

Uglyduckling

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sooo sorry you have lost your buddy, if you consider getting another one maybe look for a reptile rescue we have one near me and he's forgotten more than some people have ever learned and they may be able to help you clean and set up ready for a new start

Ron V

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, so I have been reading on this forum for awhile but sadly this is my first post. And it is a long one but please bear with me!

I bought the bd along with a zilla 20 bd kit at a local pet shop. I put down reptile carpet, covered the back and sides, setup tank as it said without using the same it came with
I read that it was not too good for them. Anyway, that was about 6 weeks ago. During that time he never really ate alot of anything. Started with crickets and he might eat 10 a day but mostly less thank that. So, I ordered dubia roaches as it seemed they would be better for him. He would eat 3-5 in the morning and I would be lucky to get him to eat at night. He would eat a tiny bit of greens as well but not much. Used calcium 5 days a week and vitamin 2 times a week. Fresh water, bath at least 2 times a week and he had no problem ever drinking water at all. He just never seemed real active and always sluggish so I read alot on this forum and found out that the coil uvb bulb that came with the kit was not the greatest. So about 2 weeks ago, I put in a t-5 15 watt desert50 for the uvb. Hoping this would help things. He just was so lethargic most of the time and maybe only a day or 2 a week he would be somewhat active. The last 2 days he just would sit there and was very limp. I gave him a quick bath this morning and he went to the bathroom fine but other than that he just sat there. Put him back in tank and checked on him later and he was laying on his side with his mouth open. I picked him up and he just laid there. I tried to give him some heat under his lamp but you could tell it was time. I'm so lost for words and feel horrible about this as he was my little buddy. I've been kicking my self trying to figure out what I might have done wrong and hopefully you all can help me out with some ideas. I just feel terrible! I posted some pictures of the bulbs and tank. Please any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Todd
I’m sorry about your loosing your pet, we lost a sick leopard gecko. I don’t see where your we’re providing calcium as a supplement this is e=very important to keep bone disease in addition to a uva and uvb bulb since they help the lizard get vitamin d.

Sabrina Champion

Bearded Dragon Egg

Todd
Sorry you lost your buddy! We had one pass on us also from purchasing at a pet store. Found out she had internal bleeding from her liver! Any way in to this guy! I keep my guys temps HIGH especially now since winter and colder weather. I have 3 ceramic heat emitters, my UVB STRIP LIGHT and a UVA LIGHT and his temps get to be about 120 during the day and they stay at about 80 at night. I have no issues. It could be that he got too much calcium, according to my vet we only do calcium 3 days a week and multi 2 days a week and we don’t use calcium with D3 because bearded dragons produce D3 as long as they have the proper lighting. To much D3 is harmful to them. I don’t use sand I use carpet, they can become backed up if they accidentally eat the sand as a juvenile. Best of luck! Definitely check out the beardie page!

Pygmyhippo

Bearded Dragon Egg

Todd

We lost a chameleon in almost the same manor. Became lethargic and then slowly stopped eating and got sluggish. We tried everything to keep him healthy. Even with a ton of research and after not finding a vet to see him, we lost him. When the female started to act the same we panicked. Luckily, we finally found a vet that saw small animals. It turned out that they had gotten parasites from the crickets. It was recommended that we only buy crickets from reputable vendors online and not from the pet stores. Not sure if that’s what happened to your little buddy or not but it’s a good thing to keep in mind. Now our bearded only gets the vet approved breeder’s crickets. I’m so sorry for your loss.

Tex-Ann

Bearded Dragon Egg

Todd

This was hard to read and I never post anything on here but I have to say this. The Atadenovirus is so common but hardly ever talked about. Most die before the age of 2, or so I was told. I'm still very angry that my baby was put through so many tests and syringe feedings along with shots only to die in a horribly fast way on the Fourth of July. Both veterinarians said she was too old to have the virus so there was no point in doing the test. When she started to decline even more, I insisted. The Vet called 4 days later to apologize and stated that yes, she had the virus. She had already passed by then. I would have never put her through all those antibiotic shots, syringe feeding and hydration, time in the sun every day, extra lighting with temp modifications set up so that I could control it by my phone. Very expensive. I stretched out her life and she was miserable. Everybody kept telling me that it had to be "the temps" or "the bulbs" or "the humidity" or blah blah blah. I'm sorry. I know everyone meant well but even though I had rescued her from a boy who couldn't take care of her, she still came from Petco. Baby beardies should NEVER be with other beardies unless they are tested for the virus. It is so contagious but nobody ever talks about it. So yes, I guess, it's still a little sore for me to talk about it but I just wanted you and others to know about how common this is. It's only an 80.00 test. The other illness that, I think, is probably worse than the Atadenovirus is Metabolic Bone Disease but only because of the "star gazing" and pain it causes. I miss my baby and I don't think I'll ever get another.

AnandaTheDragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member

Todd
I had a very similar experience with my second bearded dragon. I got a baby from the pet store and he was not as active as I am used to. He ate okay for about a week and then stopped. I took him to the vet and the vet was pretty confident that he had adenovirus. Its common in baby's coming from sketchy breeders.

I still think about the poor guy. Its sad when they pass so young. Don't give up though. My current beardie is going on 2 years old and is quite the active little devil. We have learned so much in the last 4 years about beardies. Took mine to the vet for a check up yesterday since he is brumating and wanted to see if he was doing okay.. and he is super healthy.

One thing that we learned that helps in the event that you need to take one to the vet.. is that we keep a daily journal (on a calendar) of

1. When, what, and how much he eats
2. When he poops, and what it looks like
3. When we soak him
4. When he gets vitamins
5. Weight once a week

This really helps when you need to go to the vet. Its pretty easy to do, just keep it by the tank.

Sorry for your loss. Wish you luck on your next beardie journey.

Latest posts