• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mushroom Growth in Enclosure

Meerna

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm really worried. I gave my girl a dig box with an organic topsoil, eco earth, and play sand mixture when she was digging again as if she was about to lay more eggs, but now she's really lethargic and not opening her eyes and I noticed some little mushroom stems growing out of the dig box. I think she might have eaten some and I know mushrooms aren't good for beardies to eat, what should I do?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm really worried. I gave my girl a dig box with an organic topsoil, eco earth, and play sand mixture when she was digging again as if she was about to lay more eggs, but now she's really lethargic and not opening her eyes and I noticed some little mushroom stems growing out of the dig box. I think she might have eaten some and I know mushrooms aren't good for beardies to eat, what should I do?
Get some activated charcoal and give it to her ---is her beard black --- I am going to get some more help on this - take the dig box out

Meerna

Bearded Dragon Egg
Her beard is not black. I gave her activated charcoal as soon as I got home from work, anything else I should do or watch for?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Her beard is not black. I gave her activated charcoal as soon as I got home from work, anything else I should do or watch for?
Her behavior ---- she should be doing her normal behavior --- eating pooping basking and active -- usually a black beard is a tell tell sign something is not right

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I heard back and she has said this
How is she doing ? The charcoal should help if she ate any of the mushrooms and the happen to be toxic. Be sure to change that out, use eco earth and sand mix .

Meerna

Bearded Dragon Egg
She's not doing any normal behavior. She's laying on the floor of her enclosure and occasionally moves somewhere else. She's still keeping her eyes closed and has no energy. I'm syringe feeding her a little repashy mix so she can get some hydration and nutrients, she hasn't eaten anything in 3 days.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She's not doing any normal behavior. She's laying on the floor of her enclosure and occasionally moves somewhere else. She's still keeping her eyes closed and has no energy. I'm syringe feeding her a little repashy mix so she can get some hydration and nutrients, she hasn't eaten anything in 3 days.
Ok let me flag Tracie she's a vet tech-
@Drache613

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please post pics of her and make a vet appointment - she could be egg bound- www.arav.org if your in a small town please type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you

Meerna

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please post pics of her and make a vet appointment - she could be egg bound- www.arav.org if your in a small town please type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you
I don't think that's it, she's already laid 2 clutches (unfertilized of course) this year. She's pretty flat and I don't feel any sort of bulges in her. I'm pretty sure the behavior is because of the mushroom. I'll call a vet tomorrow anyway though, I don't want to leave her like this any longer.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Did she start acting differently after she ate a few
of the mushroom stems? That is very odd that the
organic soil had something like that grow out of it.
How many doses of the activated charcoal have
you given?
You can give a couple of more doses of that, to be
sure she isn't suffering from toxicity. Are you able
to get fluids into her at all?
I would get her to the vet if you can to be sure she
isn't getting worse.
Keep her a little warmer overnight to help with her
immune system.

Tracie

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't think that's it, she's already laid 2 clutches (unfertilized of course) this year. She's pretty flat and I don't feel any sort of bulges in her. I'm pretty sure the behavior is because of the mushroom. I'll call a vet tomorrow anyway though, I don't want to leave her like this any longer.
Yes I posted a website to help you find a vet ---the person I reached out to also recommended a vet
Dragon needs a vet if it's eggbound or very ill from mushrooms or whatever is going on.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Just checking in, wondering how things are going with your dragon. Keep us posted on your girl.

Tracie

Meerna

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

Just checking in, wondering how things are going with your dragon. Keep us posted on your girl.

Tracie
She's doing better, but not quite at 100% yet. I didn't have the funds to take her to the vet and I couldn't qualify for care credit or anything else, but I moved her to another enclosure and cleaned hers out completely and let it settle before I put her back. She's got some strength back and is opening her eyes and moving more normally, but she doesn't have much of an appetite still. I gave her more watered down repashy and she was a little enthusiastic about it this time. I also found 7 eggs when I went through all the substrate.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That is totally understandable, vet visits are usually quite expensive.
I am glad she seems to be getting better, slowly. I bet that took some time to clean the tank though. At
least she is opening her eyes a little more. Hopefully her appetite starts to improve soon.
Wow, you found some eggs in the substrate, interesting. I wonder how long they have been there for?

Keep us posted on her.
Tracie

Latest posts