• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moving Cross Country - Figuring Out How to Move my Beardy

RustytheBeardy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey folks,

My young beardy (Rusty - going on about 10 months) is going to be joining me for a cross-country move in the coming weeks. I live in Alberta, Canada, and will be moving to Ontario, Canada (about a 36 hour drive by car). I was planning to drive, however work has forced me to fly and therefore ship all of the items in my house. All of that should be fine, however I'm most worried about Rusty.

He is pretty undersized for his age (he had some big diet concerns early on but has grown exponentially the last month or so as he has finally been eating more) but is super energetic, is eating much better, and has been doing fantastic. He's only about 14 inches long, so still not too big. Now I'm so sad that I'm likely adding some stress now with the move.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has been through similar situations and what the recommend. It looks like flying is out of the questions as I won't be able to bring him in the cabin, and god knows how he would do in the unpressurized luggage. So now instead I'm looking at shipping. Any ideas on what to do? I luckily have a colleague who owns a logistics company who will be shipping my items and furniture, however he's not confident in the treatment of a live animal for the move, especially since it may take a few days. I wanted to know if anyone was aware of a better strategy for moving ol' Rusty, and I'd love some advice. I want to make the move as smooth as possible for him.

Thanks in advance!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey folks,

My young beardy (Rusty - going on about 10 months) is going to be joining me for a cross-country move in the coming weeks. I live in Alberta, Canada, and will be moving to Ontario, Canada (about a 36 hour drive by car). I was planning to drive, however work has forced me to fly and therefore ship all of the items in my house. All of that should be fine, however I'm most worried about Rusty.

He is pretty undersized for his age (he had some big diet concerns early on but has grown exponentially the last month or so as he has finally been eating more) but is super energetic, is eating much better, and has been doing fantastic. He's only about 14 inches long, so still not too big. Now I'm so sad that I'm likely adding some stress now with the move.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has been through similar situations and what the recommend. It looks like flying is out of the questions as I won't be able to bring him in the cabin, and god knows how he would do in the unpressurized luggage. So now instead I'm looking at shipping. Any ideas on what to do? I luckily have a colleague who owns a logistics company who will be shipping my items and furniture, however he's not confident in the treatment of a live animal for the move, especially since it may take a few days. I wanted to know if anyone was aware of a better strategy for moving ol' Rusty, and I'd love some advice. I want to make the move as smooth as possible for him.

Thanks in advance!
It's tough to not be able to drive. A drive that long would usually be no problem (I've done it with Darwin and it was great). Since bringing him into the plane isn't likely/possible either, shipping is the only way to go aside from hiring or asking a friend to drive him out one way and fly back etc. Best to go with a shipping company that has experience like shipyourreptiles.com

Latest posts