• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

MORALS: If you breed BD's, sell them wisely!

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
This is a sad story I have to share about a local private owned pet store in Amarillo, TX (where I live). So I walked into this store which sells all kinds of reptiles, freshwater fish, prairie dogs (it's a TX thing and they are great pets), kittens and toy miniature dogs. I haven't been in this store for over 10 yrs and for some reason I decided to check them out to see if they had some cheap bulbs. Everything was clean and the store was setup nice (beside certain animals not having enough space in their enclosures and kennels). I was talking to the owner about breeding a pair of 100% Citrus BD's when I bought my female in a couple of months just like I did with my friends shop thats sells saltwater fish and reptiles (much more pristine store and way better environment for animals). He told me he would buy what ever I didn't sell out of each clutch for an average of $250 for each baby BD from my pair. I was happy at that point. Then I asked him if he had any UVB/Basking light combo (single bulb) lights. He showed me an overpriced $43 T-Rex Mercury Bulb that had the price tag of $89! I immediately called him out on the bulb and told him he wasn't going to make a near $50 profit on me. So I asked him to reconsider the price and he was willing to sell it for $50. Needless to say, I still turned him down but asked to see it. THEN..... what he showed me broke my heart. He directed me to a "norm" BD priced at $69 and it was.... "wait a minute! Where is his TAIL!????" 3/4 of his tail was gone. I asked, "what happened to him?" And he replied the bulb burnt his tail off.... I immediately asked him, "THAT BULB? The one that you STILL have in there?!?!" I was VERY VERY upset!

That JERK still had the same bulb in the BD's enclosure, unprotected! The bulb was completely exposed in the enclosure! And he kept the same BD with a tail nub from that bulb in there! REALLY? Why was this guy still selling him for $69? Why was he selling ANY animal at all? This is what I said before I left in much better "G" Rated series of words..... I said, "You know those babies I was willing to sell you for $225 each? Forget it! I would never sell or buy anything from someone who is not passionate enough to properly keep his animals safe and healthy!" Then I remember a disturbing thought I lost during my brain injury over in Afghanistan. I remembered I sold him a rare Albino Corn Snake Breeder with ghost patterns (it breaks my heart to this day that I don't have my corn snake) back in 2002. I ask him right before I left, "remember that Albino Corn Snake Breeder I sold you back in 02? Did you manage to keep him alive, or was he mistreated by you too?" I ran out all the customers in this small store needless to say and I told them to spread the word about this place and how they treat their animals for sale. This wasn't the first time or animal I have seen neglected at this store.

The moral of this story is:
1. If you are going to own any pet, take care of them! They are your responsibility and they can't take care of themselves if you own them or watch over them!
2. If you breed, have some morals yourself and make sure who you sell to knows exactly how to take care of them and that they have the proper means to take care of them! I don't care how much money they offer, it's not worth it!
3. NEVER help a business out by being their customer if they can't take care of their own stock (animals). This is just letting them harm OTHER ANIMALS!

Vnuk1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've seen some stores like that in my day. It's worse when you see them all skinny and malnourished, I ask them if business is slow and sales are down and when they reply "No" I tell them maybe you should pony up and feed your animals more and leave. I can't stand to see them like that.

Sent from my fingertips...

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
I should of asked him if he has ever been burnt by a mercury bulb and then ask him if he wants me to burn him with a mercury bulb? Inconsiderate money grubbing people, I swear. No worse than an un-passionate dog kennel.

ravenwolf

Juvenile Dragon
awful! i hate it when stores behave like this and i never buy from anywhere that doesn't have healthy well maintained animals. i only wish more people would do the same.

Mariah94

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I give you props for stepping up and saying something. Honestly, at this point every pet store in my area has below average care. The Exotic reptile shop being the absolute worst...and I've just stopped saying things. I will however educate an interested buyer best I can when I get the chance...some listen...some say they will take the petstore employee over a "stranger" *grumble*

I once walked into a shop and found a older juvi bleeding from his head. Immediately, I opened the viv and took the little guy out, grabbed a papertowel from the counter and started to control the bleeding. And the lady who finally found me nursing this dragon was like "what are you doing?" and I answered with a simple "This dragon has a head wound that you seem to have missed." She claimed she had "fixed him up." Because a bleeding dragon on the floor/sale floor of your shop is definitely a fixed dragon. Right then and there I told her that if she handed him over I would cover the vet bill, no questions asked and no case against the shop. She said I could pay the $90 AND cover the vet bill. Then proceeded to take the dragon back. I was outraged. Somebody had nipped that dragon in the head/neck. He didn't need to be sold on the floor...he needed a vet right then and there.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
very interesting story... I have an odd question about your story: Could you if you needed to, superglue any wounds on a BD or reptile for this matter? I'm sure Super Glue is toxic, but we use it on 1 another instead of going to the hospital and pay $300 for some stitches. I have insurance, but no patients waiting 4 hours to be seen. Just something crazy I though up....

Latest posts