• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moo head shed question...I could be being a worry wart.

Dawn McNair

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So we just got Moo on Wednesday. Her head was in shed and has shed since. But there seems to be some shed over her ear hole. I don't know what to do about it. She's stressed. We are trying not to handle her at all for a while. I had put her in a bath Thursday, because of the shedding, but that just totally stressed her, being handled. So today instead of picking her up, just misted her a bit. The spray bottle freaked her out. It looks as if her arms about to shed now.
Anywho, what, if anything, should I do about the skin over her ear? Should I stress her by putting her in a bath? Use a soft tooth brush...which really seems way bigger than her head at the moment? Keep misting instead?
Like I stated, I could be being a worry wart. I don't want to over react, but I also don't want to under react and have a mess on my hands either.

Thanks!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Worrying is part of motherhood – don't stress though. If you stress your little one will know it. Remember – they shed in nature without our help. Just do what you can and let your baby do the rest

Andyurgay

Hatchling Dragon
we do this with snakes that have stuck sheds, try putting a wet paper towel or rag in her enclosure, something with a slightly rough texture. If it's really bothering her, she can rub against it and loosen it up herself. Worked with a couple pythons and a baby beardie we had. Also, is there anything rough she can rub on? Like a brick or rough stone? We had a few hatchlings that all had real rough sheds once and we noticed them trying to rub it off on the driftwood and plants in the tank but couldn't work it off cause the stuff was too soft and smooth. We laid a brick in there and the next day, three out of 5 were rubbing on it and had most of the stuck shed off.

you could also try some Shed Aid from PETsMART. It worked miracles for a baby that had a band of shed stuck around his tummy. He hated the soaks and being misted with it, but its the only thing that loosened It up. It's also safe for eyes so if you have to mist her head with it, it wont hurt if it gets in her eyes.

good luck!

Dawn McNair

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The tiles in her enclosure are pretty rough. When her belly shed she would rub it on the tile after I misted her. Came off easy peasy. She still has a bit of shed in her ear. I'll see if I can find something the she can rub her ear on maybe.

Dawn McNair

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Here's a pic of her ear.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428189460.110086.jpg

Andyurgay

Hatchling Dragon
yeah you can see it. It doesn't look too stuck, looks dry and ready to go but held on by the other shed or scales.
Is it only stuck in one small spot? If so, you can apply a warm, wet cloth to it if she will let you and then just peel the loose part over her ear off. It should just peel off easy. She might shake her head a bit but as long as you don't meet any resistance, only the shed ready to come off should. It wont hurt her. If you do find a spot where it wont just peel off, stop and keep applying a wet cloth to it so help loosen it. But maybe you can at least get that loose shed out of her ear.

but also, its prolly not hurting her to have it there. Just annoying. It's up to you which measures you want to try to remove it. If you wish to leave it, I would not worry too much unless it does not come off with the next shed.

Dawn McNair

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah it moves. Figured that out tonight. Held her for about 5 min or so when she was falling asleep. She seems to like her head rubbed, but don't dare touch her tail or legs. I didn't want to mess too much with her, but maybe will try a damp paper towel tomorrow night. Now her tail is going into shed. This girl won't quit. LOL. I guess it's a good sign though.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It should eventually come of on it's own. She may even scratch it off herself. Mine love their heads rubbed too. I love playing with the squishy pads of their feet but they hate that LOL!

She is going to be in constant shed now, just means she's growing!

Dawn McNair

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank goodness! LOL. I always have that little niggle in the back of my head that I'm gonna kill her. Oh wow, in 93, I had gotten two iguanas. Bad move I killed them within a month. Of course there wasn't Internet and easy access to the pertinent info I truly needed to raise them correctly. I just went by what the pet store told me. Knowing what I know now, I didn't have anything that they needed. That put me off reptiles until now. I'd still love an iguana, but I don't think that'll happen. Hubster is so ready to be pet free. I still haven't told him the geckos can live as long as they do.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I brought Dexter to visit my coworkers Thursday night and one of my patients was checking out. My coworker was telling him to look at Dexter. He said he was so not a pet person and he's glad that his kids never wanted any pets. People don't know what they are missing out on!

When we got Dexter we were so disappointed that we never got her EARLIER! They are such great pets and my nephew is allergic to fur babies having reptiles would have been perfect for him.

Dawn McNair

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I think he'll appreciate the reptiles more eventually. Once he really sees how mess free they are compared to the furr and feather kids. I love them all. It's just the amount. LOL. We have a lot of pets. And I think our chihuahua has gotten on his last ever lovin nerve. Dang dog marks like crazy...tends to mark his stuff though. Oops.

Andyurgay

Hatchling Dragon
those babies shed like crazy. Lané shed head first, then tail, legs and body, in that order. Then switched to the reverse. Over and over. They are just growing like crazy its awesome. A good rub helps since it seems to itch and a little help goes a long way. If you are careful it wont hurt them.

Latest posts