• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mites on baby bearded dragon?!

Salvatorethebeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Hello, I have had my bearded dragon for about 2 months now and he has been acting a little off recently. One day he was lethargic and just having some odd poops, but the poops got back to normal with less fruits given. I got him out today because he seemed to be back to his regular self. But when I went to put him in a bath I realized there was a couple small reddish black dots on his tail. I will include a picture but just wondering if this might be mites. If not what could it be then and also how to treat mites if you think these are mites. Thanks so much. Here is a picture.
20201016_163453.jpg
20201016_163453.jpg

Attachments

• 20201016_163446.jpg
    20201016_163446.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I can't tell from the picture, but if you suspect parasites I recommend scrubbing everything in the terrarium down.
1. Put your beardie in a quarantine tank. If you don't have one, a plastic bin or a bathtub will do.
2. Remove all the decor (plants, branches, rocks, etc.) and scrub them down with a mixture of 10 parts water to one part bleach. If you have real rocks, you can bake them at 250-300 degrees for 1-3 hours. Make sure you get all the little cracks, because that's where mites will lay eggs. If you have basic, cheap wood and fake plants, you can throw those out and replace them if you want. Rinse the decor and let it dry.
3. Use the bleach mixture to scrub down the tank. Rinse it down after scrubbing and let it dry. A hose can make the rinsing go faster.
4. Give your beardie a thorough bath and check for any bite marks, injuries, etc. Check his poop to make sure it is a normal consistency and color.
5. If you find any sign of parasites remaining, book an appointment at your vet's office so you can figure out what they are and get the correct medication for it.

Latest posts