• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Minimum sized enclosure

AmyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,

Looking at getting a lizard shortly, do not really want to buy a small tank then enlarge over time, so planning on buying the final size tank from the off.

However, everywhere I read says 120x60x60 required, ideally need something slightly smaller, what would be a safe size for an adult bearded dragon for life?

Thanks

Amy

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
40gallons is the smallest you can go, and tbh even a 40 gal is to small, if u get that please offer outside time for your lizard, if I could do a redo id get a 55gal for my lizard

AmyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
40gallons is the smallest you can go, and tbh even a 40 gal is to small, if u get that please offer outside time for your lizard, if I could do a redo id get a 55gal for my lizard
what is 40 gallons in dimensions? it will get quite a bit of outside time

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Mine is 18x18x36, if ur giving outside time every other day you should be fine, my dragons bearly in her enclosure

Attachments

• BA7BE37F-32A2-4481-ADA7-B4CACD089E02.jpeg
    BA7BE37F-32A2-4481-ADA7-B4CACD089E02.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
  • F2AD235D-EDF0-4BF8-AE7E-2685B7ABFCCF.jpeg
    F2AD235D-EDF0-4BF8-AE7E-2685B7ABFCCF.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 16

RankinsDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have Pogona Henrylawsoni and they can go with a bit smaller vivarium. But I just recently bought 120cmx45x45 enclosure (earlier was 90x45x60) and lizards activity levels jumped from 5 to 10. It seems to be much happier when it has more room to roam and also temperatures are easier to maintain in bigger tank.

I suggest bigger than minimum size. Pogona Vitticeps should have 150cmx45x45 tank at least in my opinion.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Although many people will say 40gal is the minimum, most beardies will grow to be at least half the size of the enclosure and won't have much room. It's also hard to fit a bearded dragon and appropriately sized hides, rocks, branches, etc. in a 40 gallon tank.

120+ gallons (4x2x2 feet) is an ideal size. 55-75 gallons is as small as you should go for an adult beardie.