• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Meet Tofu and Spiny

alialidandi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

I'm totally new to the world of Bearded Dragons, and here comes a nice long thread for you to enjoy!

we recently welcomed Tofu and Spiny to our home and I'm still trying to figure out their ages and personalities. I bought them at the same time from the same enclosure but I think Spiny is about 6 weeks (approx 4.5" s to v) and Tofu around 4 (approx 4" s to v); Spiny is very assertive when it comes to hunting down crickets but Tofu is much more timid and eats way less, also Tofu scratches at his reflection ("dumb" question: when people say to add a background to the tank to help with that, do they mean inside or outside the tank? if it's outside, that won't help counter the reflection... but if it's inside, isn't that dangerous for the dragon?).

They both hate baths but I gently mist them every day and they drink when I let the water run on their heads/faces. They go to the bathroom regularly and spend 95% of their time as close to their basking lights as possible. I have them in separate tanks. Spiny already shed once; Tofu seems to be shedding around his (her?) face and feet. We hold them for a little while every day to get them used to it; Tofu tends to try to run a lot, I don't know if that's just a juvenile beardie thing?

Since I never had reptiles before I just have no idea what to look for or what is normal. I chop up greens every day for them-dandelion leaves, collard greens and I sprinkle in a tiny bit of mango or blueberry or cucumber. I also add a few tiny bits of dragon kibble. They barely touch the salad-I've seen them nibble on it a tiny bit but most of it ends up shriveled up and wasted in the dish. They get a small water dish with fresh water every day (untouched). Crickets: Spiny eats anywhere from 10 to 20 or more in a day; Tofu, just recently he ate at the most 7 in a day. I also give them each a few wax worms and /or meal worms (small) every few days but not regularly. So I'm trying to do everything right... their tanks are 20 gallon right now and I plan on moving them up to 40 each when they get bigger.

I just always feel nervous that they're not eating enough or drinking enough or somehow not getting what they need. I also have a repti-hammock in each tank and a thick grapevine in each but Spiny's already starting to get that barrel shape and drooping over each side and I don't know what to get to replace it that goes high up enough so he/she can bask right under the light comfortably. Any and all advice would be most welcome!!!

I am inserting some images here... hopefully this will work!

SPINY CLOSEUP 8-4-13.JPGSpiny

TOFU CLOSEUP 8-4-13.JPGTofu

TOFU ON THE HAMMOCK 8-4-13.JPGTofu

SPINY READY TO POUNCE 8-4-13.JPGSpiny

Latest posts