• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Meet Demetri the Dragon

Pascal Rivette

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello Everyone!

So we have been in the process of building a home for a Beardie and once we had everything we were going to go buy one. However we were out at a local Petsmart looking for some of the remaining things we needed and to our surprise they had 3 babies in stock! So we paid for our stuff and decided to go watch them for a bit... After about 10 mins or so one of the little guys had caught our eye, he was very energetic and curious, he was running around and climbing stuff all over the place stopping every minute or so at the glass to have a look at us then off exploring he would go! He seemed very happy and like he was enjoying his little life, so obviously we fell in love with this little guy... But at this point we weren't quite ready for a beardie yet (still needed to purchase all the lighting needed) so we had to walk away and hope that when the time came he'd still be there.

Well the next day we decided that we didn't want to wait and lose out on our chance with this lil' guy, so even though we haven't been able to find the lighting we were hoping to get, we went out and bought some cheaper basic lighting supplies for the time being and we'll upgrade in a week or so :)

We decided on calling him Demetri, here he is!

6981913795_ed7ff7b999_b.jpg

6835788546_152f63cf6f_b.jpg

6835789118_9b67d89a3d_b.jpg

6835789590_d216c50ee4_b.jpg

6840146358_e1112c28e8_b.jpg

6986265295_8e0de0ddf7_b.jpg

6840144868_3fe62a41d5_b.jpg

6840144054_c8e43c3f5e_b.jpg

6986262903_9a6e5b3778_b.jpg

6840142378_b6e27eaed2_b.jpg

6986261225_08ba714507_b.jpg

I have to say, for the very little time we have had with him so far he's been quite interesting, I already have a story! Haha

After we shut things down for the first night he went a little haywire for a minute or two... Running around and climbing up and down his basking tree, then he stopped, looked at the back decor foam wall and decided to scale it right to the top, almost as if he was trying to get out... This made me feel bad at first like something might have been wrong... Then he jumped off back down to the floor, turned around and tried to climb up again, however this time he didn't go right to the top, he stopped about one inch from the top... We sat back and watched as we tried to figure out just what the heck he was doing, but he just stayed there! After about 10 - 15 mins we decided to step away and let him be. Well to my surprise, when I checked on him in morning he was still there... Sleeping on the wall!! Hahaha is that normal?

Here's a pic I snapped before he woke up.

6835789980_ff9160bd43_b.jpg

Maybe we shoulda called him Spidey or something :p

Thanks for stopping by,
Pascal

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Very cute BD, Beautiful enclosure & Great pics.

He was trying to escape, they are very talented escape artists ;).

I couldn't help but notice your enclosure top looks like Plastic Fluorescent light diffusers, does it cover the full top & is all your lighting above it?

2.jpg

Really like the name
icon_thumright-1.gif

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Oh my goodness! You should go in to pet photography or something, those are amazing pics and a beautiful lil baby! Demetri looks like he has his work cut out for him on exploring that environment! Sleeping in extremely odd positions seems to be a specialty of the bearded dragon. They love to ooh us and ahh us with the splendors they can come up with, and the odd things they do.

Pascal Rivette

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the nice comments!

No the top is a metal screen its just the way the light is shinning if it that make it look that way. I need to make some lighting adjustments but unfortunately I haven't been able to find any ReptiSun 10.0 bulbs around here anywhere yet. So I will probably have to order them online, however the UVB bulb I'm using right now says:
Recommended for use with screened terrariums; terrariums with dense screen covers
So that's good right? For now anyway :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What brand & strength is it. That screen looks really fine/dense, but pictures can be deceiving, is it finer than regular window screen spacing?

Pascal Rivette

Bearded Dragon Egg
No it's not quite that fine I think its just the angle the light was hitting it, the room was dark and I used my phones LED light and I wasn't shinning it right at it, I was aiming off to the side so I wouldn't wake the little guy up :)

It's an Exo Terra 36x18x18 Terrarium and the bulb is an Exo Terra 10.0 compact 26W, it's not the lighting I wanted but Exo Terra is all I can find around here...

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It should work, personally not a fan of compacts because of the coverage, but should do the job until you acquire the Reptisun Tube. There have been issues with ReptiSun 10.0 compacts according to www.uvguide.co.uk. Be sure both the basking & UVB are covering the basking spot.

Once again, Beautiful enclosure. Be sure to have the top clamped/held down, seeing as it can climb the back wall. I'm not kidding when I say they are accomplished escape artists & are quite strong for their tiny size.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Welcome to the dragon cave. Happy to see such a nice tank for the little guy/girl hope it lives long and happy

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nice enclosure and beautiful shots! Looks like you have one happy little dragon! :) congrats on the new addition!

Pascal Rivette

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks guys! We are very happy with this little guy, he's such a character!

He started shedding for the first time and he seems a bit uncomfortable, he's constantly scratching his little face on his log. Most of his skin on his face and tail have shed, however a lot of it is still hanging off him and he doesn't seem to like that too much. I know we are not supposed to peel it off or anything but are we able to give him extra baths to help out? Is it possible to bath them them too much?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Too frequent bath can be excessive, almost like getting a daily enema. Bathing can be upped a bit when in shed, Misting helps between baths.

Latest posts