• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mealworms

ARUTLOSJR11

Bearded Dragon Egg
I seem to be coming back to this forum as the more I know about my 6 month old beardie, the less I know. Questions seem to pop up every day. Much like when I became a kid parent, I'm doing a lot by trial and error.

So, in an attempt to make mealtime more exciting, I opened the can-o-worms that came with my setup, and fed 'Blue' a helping of mealworms.

After that, he's quasi-ignored the crickets. Today, stupidly, I fed him more since he didn't care for crickets again this morning.

I also noticed he hasn't pooped as well as he normally does, so I bathed him a few days ago and he pooped larger than normal, as if he'd been holding it in.

Today I read that mealworms can impact him? True? And if so, how do I reverse it?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451270102.162960.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451270114.865851.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea mealworms are very hard for babies and juv's to digest as they contain chitlin in their shells... Just keep him well hydrated try some other bugs butterworms to get some moisture in him. They can hold their poop :) when they do finally go you can almost tell how many days they went without pooping by the "packets of poop" lol
Just stay away from them that's best.. when he's hungry he will eat :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Agreed. I found that out also this past weekend. They said in small quantities.

Please advise if I'm incorrect.
Most of us try to avoid spinach just too much calcium hard for them to digest.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry I just have to say EWWWWW! I got a Can O' Crickets once for free from Petco, that was the scariest thing I've ever seen! I threw them out without trying to feed them to Dexter. On to your question, I would give some long soaks and drip water on his nose. Try some canned pumpkin, just make sure it's pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling. You could also try a piece of apple with a drop of olive oil on it. These are all things that will help him poop.

Yep, spinach is bad. It binds with the calcium and the body doesn't get to absorb any of it.

Latest posts