• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Marley never goes under a hiding spot.

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys i have had marley for about a week now and she has not gone under any of her hiding spots. Could it be because the hiding spots might be too hot because the cool side of my cage is around 80 degrees. Is this a problem shes not hiding or is it ok for her to not hide.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Many people do not even provide a hide for a young BD. Mine almost never use a hide, unless they intend to, or are Brumating. A hide is provided so that if the BD is stressed, scared or otherwise insecure, it has a place to retreat to or 'Hide'. The fact that yours is not using it, is a good thing in most cases.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Same here with Spike....he really never used a hide and after waking up from 5 months of brumating he is a happy boy!!

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks a lot pat. I dont know what brumating is lol. Good luck to you and spike. Let me know what brumating.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Brumating is when your beardie takes a looonnnggg sleep. Like hibernating. I don't know why the words are different. Brumating usually starts in the fall and goes through the winter. Spike woke up about 3 weeks ago and has been a raging maniac.....eats and runs around and is very active. Not all beardies will brumate and is unusual for less than a year old. Spike was only 10 months and I was so worried but it is normal. Hope this helps....:cool:

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks a lot my brother i appreciate again all the help. So your beardie slept for 3 weeks, or did you mean on and off cuz i thought they needed water and food everyday. It helped a lot bud i added this to my favorites so ill have it in the future. Thanks

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
Hey germ i just wanted to ask you how often do you mist your dragon and when you bathe him. I just asked the same question to pat. I just wanted to say how much better of any dragon site out there, you guys have been so nice and informational. My beardie would be dead within a couple months if it wasnt for you guys. Me, Angela and Marley thank you very much.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As Pat mentioned, Brumation is similar to hibernation. Different BDs, brumate differently & for varied lengths of time. Some will go into a full sleep, others will find a perch, generally on the cool side & although their eyes may be open for parts of the day & they are aware of their surroundings, no other movement. Brumation can last from a few days to many months. During this time they generally do not eat or poop & this is quite normal. Because they are not active, they expend little to no energy, so do not require nutrition during this time, with very little weight loss.
Misting/Bathing: A twice weekly misting from head to tail with a fine spray mister of room temperature water helps hydration and shedding. Two or three times a month let your dragon have a bath in chest deep warm water, not too hot. Dragons seem to enjoy soaking and it may help to assist in hydration & clearing of minor impactions or constipation. Dragons will often defecate in the bath water, change the water immediately and run a fresh bath, they will only soil their water once on most occasions. Baths are ideal prior to allowing your dragon out of the enclosure as it helps to prevent "accidents". Do not leave your dragon unattended!

Read More: http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/basic-bd-care-sheet-a-place-to-start.5177/

Latest posts