• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Making up genetics haha

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just felt a need to rant about the fact that I keep seeing a breeder post his animals as Hypo Het for Marketed Leucistic :mad:

I hate it when people are purposely missleading like that. He knows full well that his animals are not be het for marketed leuci and is simply being disshonest (note: not on this site its another forum). Just really erks my nerves.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hypo Het for Marketed Leucistic

is simply het for hypo. The marketed leucy gene is a false gene derived from two hypo genetics which bore a basically normal dragon with the genes to produce another hypo in it's future. Yet most breeders would rather use the term Marketed Leucistic because of the dollar value. Either way, it means the same thing. The difference is in whether or not they actually know the genealogy.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK now I have Louie.
He is Marketed Leucistic/Snow. He is a hypo 20 clear nails blah blah blah.
Am I reporting Him correctly??

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nothing wrong with listing him as a marketed leucistic just do not sell his offspring as hypo het for leucistic lmao

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
marketed leucy and the hypo are the same gene. Snow is separate according to "morphology" lol oh i love that word.
saying Marketed Leucistic/snow is fine. Saying hypo snow is fine. Saying Marketed Leucistic/Snow x Hypo clear nails doesn't make sense. they two "hypo" terms cross each other out and what you end up with is a light colored dragon with clear nails.

A fake Leucistic x Hypo will result in white nailed offspring. Both the parents are identical markers for the hypo gene.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is exactly why I stayed away from hypos and leucistics. The terms are more flippin confusing than the leathers, co dom leathers, american leathers, smoothies, american smoothies etc lol. I was always under the impression a true leucistic dragon didn't exist so I never bought into ones marked as that. The whole marketed leucistics confused the hell outta me.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Candice.......true leucy doesn't exist in dragons. At least not that's ever been proven, but in almost all species of animal it does exist. Who knows, maybe it's somewhere. They came up with the Marketed Leucistic when they thought they had discovered the key is to the leucism disorder. *silently i wonder why people see a disorder as a marketable trait*
just switch the words Leuc for Hypo and you'll get it. Hypos aren't today what they were when the morph first emerged. But .............what is.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ahh thanks for the clarification Gina. I never was able to grasp the differences between snow, leucistic, hypo, pastels etc etc. To me they all seemed the same with the exception of the leucistics and snows being white and the hypos and pastels having bright colors. I had no idea about the nails until a couple years ago.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Snows are not genetically altered. They produce dark pigment, but are light in color.
Hypomalanistic (hypo) lack dark pigment. The depth of their color can range, but the melanistic pigment isn't prominent.
Breeding two hypos together brings about clear nails
pastels are lighter colored (pastel orange, light yellow) those purple side bar dragons. Their nails are all veined, and they do vary in grade of color.
A hypo pastel is (Breeding two hypos together brings about clear nails) x (pastels) and has clear nails
and the marketed leucistic is just another name for the hypo.

Does the phrase
IT'S DIGESTABLE kinda ring in here? People will try to sell you anything if you let em.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Interesting yet way too involved for my simple mind. That is exactly why I never bought one.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
its only complicated cause greed makes peoplemake it complicated. If it wasnt for peoples need to "make their mark" on the hobby it wouldnt be so problematic.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
all of these terms for dragons are crazy. In my world they are, yellow, red, brownish, orange, or orangy brown. Black eyes, gold eyes, whatever eyes, they should have 2 and thats all that matters to me. clear nails, black nails...do they have their nails? I know these things matter to most and people will pay a lot for "special" dragons but what I look at is are they pretty, healthy and will it let me hold it.

I do have to say that Brian and Tom are putting out some pretty babies and have seen a couple that have really caught my eye.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I realized i left out a very important detail. The hypo and the Marketed Leucy are the same. A hypo and true Leucy are two different things. That part gets confusing. But if you just remember that there are no bearded dragons (yet) that are truly leucistic, you got it made.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
I realized i left out a very important detail. The hypo and the Marketed Leucy are the same. A hypo and true Leucy are two different things. That part gets confusing. But if you just remember that there are no bearded dragons (yet) that are truly leucistic, you got it made.

Problem is that because it is not "legal" to question a breeder in his sale ad on .org and he ignores posts in other sections about his incorrect labeling no one knows any better. Than you get people that want to site the information dachiu has on their page that is what 10 years old talking about a dragon being able to be het for markt. leuci.

And god forbid you ignore with the "hord" over there.

Just annoys me.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
*sigh.....* Everybody wants a special dragon don't they..... My dragon morph is better than yours lol. Very light in colour, fantastic looking, no pattern, no scales, dead in two years.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you know I am involved in a topic on .org right now that ties into this as well. Its a post about how 99% of the time if someone posts "what kind of dragon is mine" (and it has no visual mutations such as hypo, trans, leather) people will undoubtedly say "its a sandfire"

I tried to explain to this one member in particular that feels it is ok to call any animal a sandfire cause it means nothing, that it is in fact a breeders particular name for their orange line (in this case sandfire dragon ranch) but apparently Im dumb and wrong cause he still thinks its all good to take a dragon purchased at a pet store with not genetic background, call it a sandfire, breed it and sell the babies as sandfires. I just find it sad that people think that way.

Latest posts