• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Making a "dig box" for fun

nvielbig

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey everyone,

I'd like to create a little box that I can occasionally put into my guy's cage for some stimulation and fun.

I'm trying to figure out how to set this up safely. It seems that a mixture of children's play sand and pure top soil would get the job done. So, do you just mix them together in equal parts, add some water until it's slightly damp and add a few inches to a box of this mixture to the box? I have a Sterilite container that should be a great size for this, he shouldn't really be able to "fling" any of the mixture out and make a mess in the rest of his enclosure. I would probably throw away the mixture each time I remove it from the enclosure and just remake the mix next time so that it's as clean as possible.

Or, should I just dump a bunch of flax seed into a container and just go with that? e.g.

Any tips or other things I should know before giving this a shot?

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have a dig box for my dragon it is made of 75% coco fiber and 25% sand. It is a great mixture because coco fiber easily makes tunnels and stays put and the sand makes it so it doesn't get too damp. I would not suggest using any old topsoil because it can have bugs, fungi and other stuff in it.

dappledawnfarm

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a dig box for my dragon it is made of 75% coco fiber and 25% sand. It is a great mixture because coco fiber easily makes tunnels and stays put and the sand makes it so it doesn't get too damp. I would not suggest using any old topsoil because it can have bugs, fungi and other stuff in it.
Do you keep misting the dig box in order to keep the humidity up?