• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lump on the back

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

How is Karl doing now after his surgery? He looks like he is resting comfortably there & doesn't have
a black beard.
Has he started eating now after his surgery? Sometimes it can take a few days for them to get back
to normal after anesthesia.
Hopefully there isn't any cancer or any that spread. You could consider getting some CBD oil which is
very effective for cancer treatments. Did the vet give any type of ointment to put on the wound area?
We are all thinking about him!

Tracie

Scotjess

Hatchling Dragon
Hi Tracie (and all reading),

The lump on Karl was soft tissue sarcoma. The lab results show that margins aren't clear, so it might come back, but we don't know when. We're hoping for a long remission.
Karl is well recovered from the surgery itself. He has a 5 day snooze at the end of December (vet agreed to let him be, since we know he never does full brumation, but yo-yo), which did him good. He lost a bit of weight from it, but his appetite has improved since he woke up, he's off the emeraid formula. His weight has maintained at 435g (which is good for him). If he loses weight, the plan is to give him formula 3 times a week at random (so he doesn't get used to a pattern and stops eating well), till he gets weight up.
Karl had his post op check earlier this week. No regrowth and the stitches are looking good. The vet did an ultrasound of his liver and kept the video for later comparison. The liver will be checked more as it could be where the sarcoma spreads if it gets in the blood. If the sarcoma comes back it could be another lump or internal. His weight will give us the biggest clue. If he loses weight despite eating well, it might be that. For now, Karl is eating better. He's started bobbing at me again! I didn't know I could miss that, he can be such a bossy boots and he hadn't been since surgery. He's basking well. He doesn't want out so often but he walks about and even jumped off the windowsill (that and the bobbing made me feel like he's back).
His stitches should be going out in about 2 months, he'll get a check up again then. Further check ups as the vet will think is good.
So cross fingers that the cancer doesn't come back, and that my boy can be well for a long as possible.
Thank you for asking for his news.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Just checking on how he is doing!
I am glad to hear the surgery went well for him. At least his weight is stable, that is a great sign. How is
the healing coming along? I guess it will be awhile before the stitches come out. then.
That's great Karl is bobbing at you, they do love to do that!
I hope nothing grows back. We are all pulling for him!

Tracie

Latest posts