• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lucy doesn't really like us :(

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just need to vent! Saturday it will be 3 weeks that she's been with us and she hates to be touched! When we brought her home she was real good and climbed our arms and sat in our hands but now we can't even catch her! We talk to her all the time and she listens. She will sit at the front of her tank and watch us and listen to us, she's very curious. She's even okay with me reaching in the tank to put her food down but as soon as we get our hands close to her she shows her (little tiny) beard and opens her mouth as if to hiss but no sound comes out. I shouldn't say all the time because I have given her a drink of water with a syringe and she is okay with me putting that by her. Her basking spot is 115 and her cool side is 75-80 and she has no stress marks. The only place she is okay with me, when I can catch her, is in the bath. If I can get her to the sink she will swim and hold my hand. She's just a little ball of spunk!

I have made a little bit of progress but not much. Just when her lights went on this morning, when she was still sleepy I rubbed her head a little and she closed her eyes like she liked it. I did it last night too just before she went to bed and she was okay. I only did it for a few seconds though, because I didn't want her to run off.

We got so spoiled with our first dragon, Dexter was so much more easy!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just keep doing what you're doing. ;)

Maybe put in something of yours to get her used to you more.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Oh that's a good idea so she gets used to my sent! I'm trying to have patience with her. She let me rub her head a bit before bed again. I also leave the radio on during the day it's a talk radio station we used to do that with Dexter and seemed to help.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've got real hand-trained bearded dragon. Hangs out when she's at the vet. She doesn't run away.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
This morning she let me rub her head a little bit longer. I put my shirt in the tank with her when I left for work. I kinda see her coming around. Right now she's sitting at the front of her tank staring at me and examining the doors to her tank like she's figuring out how to get out!

Dexter is just like Allie. She's so spoiled, she's used to to being handled and she doesn't run off even when the cats get in her face.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol. That's what Allie does. She'll sit there and stare at her lights, trying to figure them out. She's off in her own little world when she stares up into her lights. :D I'm trying to figure out how to stimulate Allie's appetite. She'll eat a little bit of greens and that's it.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
As much as Lucy drives me crazy, she cracks me up! The past few afternoons she's been regulating in her basking spot and sitting there with her mouth wide open and moving her head around with her mouth open, she's hilarious! She even lets me get close the tank and she opens her mouth even wider as if "look mom, I ate all my crickets!" Dexter never lets me watch her do this, as soon as she sees me she closes her mouth. Dexter is very private about a few things :)

I woke up late this morning so I didn't get to rub Lucy on her head. When I woke up she was already crazy and dancing around her tank. She runs and jumps so fast I think she thinks she's a steprunner!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Allie wasn't thirsty last night so she slept all through the night. Her antibiotics are bothering her tummy. Poor baby.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
That's funny Patsy. You know like the rest of us Lucy will come around, with time. I wouldn't be surprised if she's about to shed, given her recent behavior. :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's funny Patsy. You know like the rest of us Lucy will come around, with time. I wouldn't be surprised if she's about to shed, given her recent behavior. :)

I know, I'm just over anxious! She's just a baby so she is ALWAYS shedding! I realized yesterday that the reason she's actually been letting me rub her head is because it's shedding. She did let me hold her for a good while yesterday so I think we are going to be okay.

She is such a nut. She runs around her tank so much during the day that at 5 pm she is already tucking herself into her sleep spot to go to sleep and her light goes off at 8pm!

Latest posts