• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Loss of Appetite

Forrest T.

Hatchling Dragon
Hello. My male hypo zero bearded dragon, Falkor, has been experiences a loss of appetite and increased fatigue, despite being one of my most food-motivated beardies (I currently own five). His previous owner (a 10-12 year old) has stunted his growth, so Falkor is a tad on the small side, but, other than that, he is perfectly healthy.
His enclosure temperature and humidity is near perfect (around 95-110ºF on the hot side with a humidity of approximately 20-30%), and so is his diet. His diet consists of dark leafy greens, such as mustard, collard, turnip, and arugula, the occasional vegetable (squash, carrots, etc.), and insects (crickets, super worms, and BSF larvae).
In addition, his feces are perfectly normal, as well; no signs of parasites, dehydration, or blood. I spot clean his enclosure daily and give him regular baths. I love him dearly and try to keep him as healthy and happy as can be, so this is very concerning and disappointing to me. If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions, I would be very grateful to hear them.

Thank you very much,
Forrest

Photos of Falkor:
20220317_194941.jpg

20220331_160924.jpg

20211018_120939.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello. My male hypo zero bearded dragon, Falkor, has been experiences a loss of appetite and increased fatigue, despite being one of my most food-motivated beardies (I currently own five). His previous owner (a 10-12 year old) has stunted his growth, so Falkor is a tad on the small side, but, other than that, he is perfectly healthy.
His enclosure temperature and humidity is near perfect (around 95-110ºF on the hot side with a humidity of approximately 20-30%), and so is his diet. His diet consists of dark leafy greens, such as mustard, collard, turnip, and arugula, the occasional vegetable (squash, carrots, etc.), and insects (crickets, super worms, and BSF larvae).
In addition, his feces are perfectly normal, as well; no signs of parasites, dehydration, or blood. I spot clean his enclosure daily and give him regular baths. I love him dearly and try to keep him as healthy and happy as can be, so this is very concerning and disappointing to me. If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions, I would be very grateful to hear them.

Thank you very much,
Forrest

Photos of Falkor:
View attachment 32139
View attachment 32140
View attachment 32141
Hi forest - what are you using for a uvb?

Forrest T.

Hatchling Dragon
Hi forest - what are you using for a uvb?
I am using a compact (not coil) UVB bulb of which is 13 watts and a strip bulb (I am not sure of the wattage). I am using both because the strip bulb is beginning to fade, but not quite. I have cards that test the UV rays in his enclosure, and the results are not perfect, but his bulb is brand new. Thank you for your response.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am using a compact (not coil) UVB bulb of which is 13 watts and a strip bulb (I am not sure of the wattage). I am using both because the strip bulb is beginning to fade, but not quite. I have cards that test the UV rays in his enclosure, and the results are not perfect, but his bulb is brand new. Thank you for your response.
Please get rid of the coil bulb
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
if the other bulb is flickering getting dim it is no good - it has expired and should be discarded - T8 bulbs and T 5 bulbs expire in different times - T 8's 5 months -- T 5's approx one year I recommend 11months --- solar cards are not reliable -- you want a 6.5R Solar meter they are expensive and are the most recommended
Solarmeter Reptile UV Index Meter 6.5R ABS Polymer LCD Industrial 9V Black
your dragon is not eating because of the lack of UVB he is getting -- please get a long tube fixture
24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle.../products/arcadia-prot5-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood
24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle.../products/arcadia-prot5-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood
this comes w/a 5.0 bulb great for small tanks like 20-30 gallon-- hang onto to it for a back up distance and placement is different
you want this bulb for a 40 + gallon tank 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...y-vapor/products/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5
when you get this replaced please post back on here and I will help you place it for your tank distance and placement will be determined by your screen
your dragon will not eat w/ out correct UVB and correct surface basking temps

Forrest T.

Hatchling Dragon
Please get rid of the coil bulb
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
if the other bulb is flickering getting dim it is no good - it has expired and should be discarded - T8 bulbs and T 5 bulbs expire in different times - T 8's 5 months -- T 5's approx one year I recommend 11months --- solar cards are not reliable -- you want a 6.5R Solar meter they are expensive and are the most recommended
Solarmeter Reptile UV Index Meter 6.5R ABS Polymer LCD Industrial 9V Black
your dragon is not eating because of the lack of UVB he is getting -- please get a long tube fixture
this comes w/a 5.0 bulb great for small tanks like 20-30 gallon-- hang onto to it for a back up distance and placement is different
you want this bulb for a 40 + gallon tank 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...y-vapor/products/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5
when you get this replaced please post back on here and I will help you place it for your tank distance and placement will be determined by your screen
your dragon will not eat w/ out correct UVB and correct surface basking temps
Thank you very much for the info. However, are you saying that UVB lights from brands such as Zilla and ReptiGlo should be avoided, even the strip bulbs?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you very much for the info. However, are you saying that UVB lights from brands such as Zilla and ReptiGlo should be avoided, even the strip bulbs?
Yes- go w/ the better bulbs and fixtures please--