• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Loss of appetite part 2

Raisin212k

Bearded Dragon Egg
A few months ago my boy Hannibal went through this for a different reason; he suffered from accumulated effects of improper occasionally fluctuating night time temps(abt 70°F, occasionally 68°F during winter), as well as improper source of UVB in the form of a 2-in-1 bulb. He wasnt eating. Got lethargic, then extremely weak, had not pooped in 2 weeks, and could barely open his eyes! I also found out that he needed more hydration that I was led to believe, although he had regular baths, and we learned to drink some water while in the tub. After immediately addressing these issues, he bounced back incredibly.

But... his new found appetite was small. His greens are collards, mustards, baby bockchoy, & dandelion. Sometimes arugula too. He never eats fruits or peppers. He used to be great about eating his greens, now seemed a weird time for a hunger strike. He wanted bugs, but I ration them. But he doesn't even want those any more. He also closes his eyes in the basking spot a little as well.

Hannibal eats dubia roaches and sometimes silk worms. I stopped giving him meal worms and crickets quite a while back. Mealies are his favorite, but I worry abt lack of nutrition & chitin effects. Nowhere has dependable crickets. His UVB is a 24 inch ZooMed10.0 bulb in a ZooMed fixture. His basking lamp is 150 watt ZooMed lamp. Now I suspect a vitamin deficiency, but cannot get a vet appointment anywhere within the next week. I am able to syringe feed him Oxbow brand omnivore supplement which was recommended by a local vet office who recommended this until he can be seen. But he doesn't want much and I'd hate forcing him without a proper examination, thinking it could make things worse. Despite 3 days however, his appetite does not return. If this sparks any ideas, I'd love to read them. He is otherwise looking healthy, and seems alert when I take him out of his enclosure.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A few months ago my boy Hannibal went through this for a different reason; he suffered from accumulated effects of improper occasionally fluctuating night time temps(abt 70°F, occasionally 68°F during winter), as well as improper source of UVB in the form of a 2-in-1 bulb. He wasnt eating. Got lethargic, then extremely weak, had not pooped in 2 weeks, and could barely open his eyes! I also found out that he needed more hydration that I was led to believe, although he had regular baths, and we learned to drink some water while in the tub. After immediately addressing these issues, he bounced back incredibly.

But... his new found appetite was small. His greens are collards, mustards, baby bockchoy, & dandelion. Sometimes arugula too. He never eats fruits or peppers. He used to be great about eating his greens, now seemed a weird time for a hunger strike. He wanted bugs, but I ration them. But he doesn't even want those any more. He also closes his eyes in the basking spot a little as well.

Hannibal eats dubia roaches and sometimes silk worms. I stopped giving him meal worms and crickets quite a while back. Mealies are his favorite, but I worry abt lack of nutrition & chitin effects. Nowhere has dependable crickets. His UVB is a 24 inch ZooMed10.0 bulb in a ZooMed fixture. His basking lamp is 150 watt ZooMed lamp. Now I suspect a vitamin deficiency, but cannot get a vet appointment anywhere within the next week. I am able to syringe feed him Oxbow brand omnivore supplement which was recommended by a local vet office who recommended this until he can be seen. But he doesn't want much and I'd hate forcing him without a proper examination, thinking it could make things worse. Despite 3 days however, his appetite does not return. If this sparks any ideas, I'd love to read them. He is otherwise looking healthy, and seems alert when I take him out of his enclosure.
How old is the UVB bulb? And where is the UVB? inside the tank or top of screen? The screen on the tank depends on where the UVB is placed and distanced - we will start there -- basking temps how are you taking them?

Raisin212k

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old is the UVB bulb? And where is the UVB? inside the tank or top of screen? The screen on the tank depends on where the UVB is placed and distanced - we will start there -- basking temps how are you taking them?
The bulb is 2 or 3 months old. It's on top of the screen. It's abt 8 to 10 inches from his hammock when he's not directly in his basking bulb, and he spends a lot of time under it, as it would otherwise block his basking lamp. I'm attempting to enclose multiple photos of his setup..

Attachments

• 20230530_113133.jpg
    20230530_113133.jpg
    906.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230530_113140.jpg
    20230530_113140.jpg
    870.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230530_113149.jpg
    20230530_113149.jpg
    803.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230530_113205.jpg
    20230530_113205.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230530_113225.jpg
    20230530_113225.jpg
    887.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230530_113234.jpg
    20230530_113234.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The bulb is 2 or 3 months old. It's on top of the screen. It's abt 8 to 10 inches from his hammock when he's not directly in his basking bulb, and he spends a lot of time under it, as it would otherwise block his basking lamp. I'm attempting to enclose multiple photos of his setup..
The screen is a wide hole type so it can stay on top just make sure the distance is 8-10 inches and hes able to get directly under it--- I would get your basking temps down to 95-100 --- older dragons dont like the real hot temps- surface basking temps --

Raisin212k

Bearded Dragon Egg
The bulb is 2 or 3 months old. It's on top of the screen. It's abt 8 to 10 inches from his hammock when he's not directly in his basking bulb, and he spends a lot of time under it, as it would otherwise block his basking lamp. I'm attempting to enclose multiple photos

The screen is a wide hole type so it can stay on top just make sure the distance is 8-10 inches and hes able to get directly under it--- I would get your basking temps down to 95-100 --- older dragons dont like the real hot temps- surface basking temps --
The basking temps have been a bit of an issue for us. Our power seems to surge at some times and get throttled at other times. I've placed a 105 limit before the lights turn off when it surges a few hrs before I get home from work, and often in the early hours it will not even power up past 96 degrees. Wishing I had a way to stabilize that. I will definitely set the limit at 100 now. Seems a solid range for him. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts