• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Loose substrate???

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
I personally do not use loose substrate, but digging can be a good form of enrichment. I'd say if you want to use loose substrate you can put a bit of eco earth on one area of the enclosure and just leave the rest as regular shelf liner or tile

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
I personally do not use loose substrate, but digging can be a good form of enrichment. I'd say if you want to use loose substrate you can put a bit of eco earth on one area of the enclosure and just leave the rest as regular shelf liner or tile
Whoops- I'm a bit late, aren't I? Haha

Austinthedragonwhisperer

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you want just a regular Substrate id put a trash bag underneath all the substrate, if he eats it or you end up not wanting it, it’ll be easier to het rid of it, i have my beardy in a half arid bioactive setup, and two jungle bioactives for my other two lizards, ive attached a couple pictures, (my dragons original 40gal, her 120 gallon enclosure, her outside in our plants for hours at a time my crested geckos enclosure and my tokays enclosure , there’s lots of options for substrate, and they encourage natural behaviors, I recommend them in certain circumstances, if your dragon is getting enough vitamins and minerals he wont crave it, and if you bowel feed or hand feed there’s no risk of accidental ingestion, id start with a tub of something and see how yours likes it.
My bearded dragon is bowl fed for his live food and greens. I want to stay away from sand but I also don’t want to commit to a reptile carpet. What is the name of the substrate you are using and how much humidity does it bring to the tank?

SpikeMintLavender

Bearded Dragon Egg
So, I am contemplating whether to get my beardie a shelf liner substrate or eco earth. I want her terrarium to look natural…. Thanks, Skybug, for the inspiration…. But I am worried that she will get impacted. I would put her bugs into a dish, so she can’t eat the dirt. I also am doing a complete cage redo. I am getting a new 18 inch IVB bulb, and I am going to put some logs in her cage too. Also…. How would you mount a uvb fixture in a 16 inch high tank? Would that be to close to her? Thank in advance!
Hi there! I use reptile carpet for a liner and cover it with 12x12 heavy duty brown felt. My dragon's toenails do not get stuck on the felt. Plus, the squares are soft, comfortable, and easy to roll up and toss away when soiled. I would recommend the liner for better hygiene. Every month I take out the bottom liner and wash/scrub it outside in a bucket with peppermint soap, then lay flat to dry in the sun. Easy to reuse. I've had just the one liner for almost 5 years. I have also used cardstock paper in his favorite restroom spot and it is super easy to roll up and throw away. The eco earth holds a lot of moisture and is messy. Would not recommend it.

Austinthedragonwhisperer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there! I use reptile carpet for a liner and cover it with 12x12 heavy duty brown felt. My dragon's toenails do not get stuck on the felt. Plus, the squares are soft, comfortable, and easy to roll up and toss away when soiled. I would recommend the liner for better hygiene. Every month I take out the bottom liner and wash/scrub it outside in a bucket with peppermint soap, then lay flat to dry in the sun. Easy to reuse. I've had just the one liner for almost 5 years. I have also used cardstock paper in his favorite restroom spot and it is super easy to roll up and throw away. The eco earth holds a lot of moisture and is messy. Would not recommend it.
Thanks for the feedback. That seems like a cheap and effective setup.