• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for non-toxic sealant

Aj0216

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and this will be my first post! I recently purchase an Exo Terra sand mat and I am concerned about cleaning it as some of the sand pieces are not completely sealed. A review of the producers had mention sealing it with a clear coat. Does anyone know an affordable and safe product that I can use?

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
You could try using a mod podge to seal it. Mod podge is super cheap, and non-toxic to reptiles, and you can dilute it with water if you want to put on a thin layer. It is like $5-$15 dollars a bottle (depending on size) at any craft store (or online).

Personally, I've used Pond Armor Pond Epoxy to seal my beardie's wooden enclosure. It's totally non-toxic, but mega expensive and probably overkill. Just thought I'd name drop it if you're ever looking for stronger sealants in the future. :p

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and this will be my first post! I recently purchase an Exo Terra sand mat and I am concerned about cleaning it as some of the sand pieces are not completely sealed. A review of the producers had mention sealing it with a clear coat. Does anyone know an affordable and safe product that I can use?
Sand mats are expensive I would look at getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store cut to the size of the tank -- insects cannot get underneath and its easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 solution or some slated ceramic tile -- I would only recommend that if the dragon is in their forever home - it would need to be cut w/ a tile cutter so you dont get jagged edges -- same cleaning solution and you can get it from the same place -- its cheap as well -- I used sand mats and they were too hard to clean so I went w/ tile and its been way easier to keep clean - I did not grout or seal it - its in the tank loose so it can be pulled for deep cleaning - I use a thick blue shop towel under the tile to catch the watery urate - its very simple to clean pull the tile piece clean replace towel underneath you have no smell afterwards-- the tile I use is a slated surface something w/ texture but it is NOT course -

Aj0216

Bearded Dragon Egg
You could try using a mod podge to seal it. Mod podge is super cheap, and non-toxic to reptiles, and you can dilute it with water if you want to put on a thin layer. It is like $5-$15 dollars a bottle (depending on size) at any craft store (or online).

Personally, I've used Pond Armor Pond Epoxy to seal my beardie's wooden enclosure. It's totally non-toxic, but mega expensive and probably overkill. Just thought I'd name drop it if you're ever looking for stronger sealants in the future. :p

Thanks! I’ll look into both of those. Yeah I’ve spend a hefty sum of money already setting up my beardies terrarium and try to keep my expense down for the near future.

Aj0216

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sand mats are expensive I would look at getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store cut to the size of the tank -- insects cannot get underneath and its easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 solution or some slated ceramic tile -- I would only recommend that if the dragon is in their forever home - it would need to be cut w/ a tile cutter so you dont get jagged edges -- same cleaning solution and you can get it from the same place -- its cheap as well -- I used sand mats and they were too hard to clean so I went w/ tile and its been way easier to keep clean - I did not grout or seal it - its in the tank loose so it can be pulled for deep cleaning - I use a thick blue shop towel under the tile to catch the watery urate - its very simple to clean pull the tile piece clean replace towel underneath you have no smell afterwards-- the tile I use is a slated surface something w/ texture but it is NOT course -
Thanks for the advice. I already purchased the sand mat so Ill probably look into that when I upgrade his tank from the 40 gallon I’m currently using.

Latest posts